1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque intersection problem

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    what is the torque if you know the the line of force intersects the center of the rotation ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the torque will be T= ( f*sin (45) )*d
    But I'm not sure will there be a torque or not ...the intersection of virtual line of force with the center of rotation is confusing me !

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

About what point are you trying to find the torque?

4. Sep 18, 2012 #3
    about the center of the rod

5. Sep 18, 2012 #4

Doc Al

In that case, what would the distance be in your formula for torque?

6. Sep 18, 2012 #5
    Torque is the ability of a force to rotate an object around a point.
    T = F*r
    The distance r is the perpendicular distance between the pivot point and the line of the force that works in on the point (virtual line).

So what is the perpendicular distance between the virtual line of force and the pivot point?

7. Sep 18, 2012 #6
    What now ??

Attached Files:

8. Sep 18, 2012 #7

Doc Al

Where is the force being applied? I assume that the point indicated, which is apart from the center. (1 m to the left and 1 m up from the center.)

The easy way is to just extend the line of the force and see that it intersects the axis of rotation. That should immediately tell you what the torque is, without the need for any calculation.

But if you want to calculate torques from each component separately, that's fine also. You'll get the same answer.

9. Sep 18, 2012 #8

Doc Al

One thing to realize when calculating the torque using F*r*sinθ, is that θ is the angle between the force vector ([itex]\vec{F}[/itex]) and the position vector ([itex]\vec{r}[/itex]).

10. Sep 18, 2012 #9
    So you mean that the torque is gonna be zero, right !

11. Sep 18, 2012 #10
    right............

12. Sep 18, 2012 #11
    T= ( f*sin (0) )*r

13. Sep 18, 2012 #12
    okay ... one more question to be fully understood the topic ...assume that this left stick is under a pressure (the whole stick) ... Now How can I calculate the torque

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook