Calculating Average Torque on Coffee Can Down Ramp

In summary, the conversation is about determining the average torque acting on a coffee can rolling down a ramp and comparing it to the value of I*alpha (angular acceleration). The person has the necessary information such as the angle of incline, mass of the can, radius, displacement, angular and translation velocities and accelerations, and moment of inertia, but is unsure how to calculate torque in two ways. The suggested solution is to use equations such as Fnet = Torque - Ff, \tau _a = I_{COM} \alpha, and a_{COM} = \frac{g\sin(\theta)}{1 + \frac{I_{COM}}{MR^2}} to determine torque experimentally and compare
fiziksfun
1. I'm doing a lab with a coffee can rolling down a ramp. I'm asked to 'determine average torque' acting on the can while its rolling down the ramp. Then I'm asked to compare this value with I*alpha (angular acceleration) (I'm guessing because torque = I*alpha). So I need to calculate torque two ways, but I have no idea how!?

I know the angle of incline, the mass of the coffee can, the radius of the coffee can, the distance it was displaced in meters and radians, the angular and translation velocities (and accelerations) and its moment of inertia. Any ideas!?

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I said

Fnet = Torque - Ff

this is just so horribly wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate the average torque use

[tex]\tau _a = I_{COM} \alpha[/tex]

for the angular acceleration one have that

[tex]\alpha = \frac{a_{COM}}{R}[/tex]

the linear acceleration of the COM of the can down the ramp can be evaluated from

[tex]a_{COM} = \frac{g\sin(\theta)}{1 + \frac{I_{COM}}{MR^2}}[/tex]

The experimental determination of the average torque can be again be determined from the same equation by determining [tex]a_{COM}[/tex] experimentally

[tex]L = \frac{1}{2}a_{COM}t_L ^2[/tex]

where [tex]L[/tex] is the distance down the ramp and [tex]t_L[/tex] the time it takes to cover this distance. From which [tex]a_{COM}[/tex] can be calculated.

Last edited:
[tex]
\theta = \omega_i + \frac{\alpha t^2}{2} = \frac{\alpha t^2}{2}
[/tex]
[tex]
2\theta/t^2 = \alpha
[/tex]
[tex]
\theta = S_{ramp}/R_{can}
[/tex]
[tex]\alpha = 2(S_{ramp}/R_{can}) / t^2[/tex][tex]\tau = I \alpha[/tex][tex]mgh - \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}I \omega^2[/tex]
[tex]d = v_it + \frac{1}{2}at^2 = \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
[tex]2d/t^2 = a[/tex]
[tex]v_f = v_i + at = 2d/t[/tex]

[tex]mgh - \frac{1}{2}m(2d/t)^2 = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/tex]

[tex]\omega_f = \omega_i + \alpha t = \alpha t[/tex]
[tex]\omega_f = 2(S_{ramp}/R_{can}) / t[/tex]

[tex]2(2(S_{ramp}/R_{can}) / t)^2(mgh - \frac{1}{2}m(2d/t)^2)= I[/tex]

[tex]\tau = I \alpha[/tex]

[tex]2(2(S_{ramp}/R_{can}) / t)^2(mgh - \frac{1}{2}m(2d/t)^2) * 2(S_{ramp}/R_{can}) / t^2 = \tau[/tex]

Or something to that effect. This wasn't meant to learn from, it was meant to inspire. I'm sure I've made more than a few mistakes (point them out, I have an important physics exam in 2 days).

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In the case of the coffee can down ramp, torque is the force that causes the can to rotate as it moves down the ramp.

2. How do I calculate the average torque on a coffee can down ramp?

To calculate average torque, you will need to know the force applied to the can, the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and the angle at which the force is applied. You can then use the formula Torque = Force x Distance x sin(Angle) to calculate the average torque on the coffee can down ramp.

3. What units are used to measure torque?

Torque is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) in the metric system and pound-feet (lb-ft) in the imperial system.

4. How does the angle of the ramp affect the average torque on the coffee can?

The angle of the ramp can greatly affect the average torque on the coffee can. As the angle increases, the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied decreases, resulting in a larger torque.

5. Can the average torque on a coffee can down ramp be negative?

Yes, the average torque on a coffee can down ramp can be negative if the direction of the force applied is opposite to the direction of rotation. This would result in the can slowing down or even rotating in the opposite direction.