1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque/Lever HELP!

1. Oct 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the mass of the meter stick, which is shown in the sketch below while it is balanced?

[​IMG]
    a 160 grams b 120 grams c 80 grams d 200 grams e none of the above
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am completely CONFUSED! Our professor never discussed finding the mass of the lever.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2008 #2
    The meter, you can think of like a mass that adds torque to the system. Consider the each side of the meterstick as a mass concentrated at that center of gravity for the side. Then you can solve for the sum of the torques = 0.

4. Oct 27, 2008 #3
    To reiterate what thepanda said, think of the leaver as mass less, and simply assume there is a mass of "x" weight hanging from the 50cm mark of the meter stick (20cm to the right of the fulcrum). Simply solve for "x".

*It is placed here because it is the object's center of mass

5. Oct 27, 2008 #4
    Okay I know I am going to sound completely stupid, but I am still getting really confused. I have a political science degree and working on a history degree. I am in the lowest level physics and I am still getting really confused.

Sorry.

6. Oct 27, 2008 #5
    so does X = 120 grams?

7. Oct 27, 2008 #6
    that is the correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?