Answer: Torque of Swallow on 40 N Rod with 1 m Length

• Thread starter Nirupt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, James Gomer has a horizontal rod with a hinge on the left end and a vertical string on the right end. A swallow with a mass of 2.00 kg lands on the rod at a point 30.0 cm to the right of the hinge. The force exerted by the string to keep the rod horizontal is 20N. The equation used to solve for this force is Ʃfnet = 2kg*9.8*20(moment arm) - F*20, with the point of moments being the hinge. The forces involved are the weight of the swallow and the tension from the string, with their respective orthogonal distances from the hinge being the moment arm and 20 cm.
Nirupt

Homework Statement

James Gomer holding a uniform 40 N rod of length 1 m horizontally with a hinge on its left end and a vertical string on the right end. Now suppose a fully laden swallow with a mass of 2.00 kg lands and squawks loudly on the rod at a point 30.0 cm to the right of the hinge. Now what is the force exerted by the string to keep the rod horizontal?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out that the string with no force exerted on the rod is 20N, so Far I have

Ʃfnet = 2kg*9.8*20(moment arm) - F*20

I don't think I have my setup correct though.. I'm just not visualizing this well

Physics news on Phys.org
What point are you taking moments about? List the forces and their orthogonal distances from that point.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque related to the length of a rod?

The torque on an object is directly proportional to the length of the lever arm, which is the distance between the pivot point and the point where the force is applied. This means that as the length of the rod increases, the torque also increases.

3. What is the equation for calculating torque?

The equation for torque is T = rFsinθ, where T is torque, r is the length of the lever arm, F is the applied force, and θ is the angle between the force and the lever arm.

4. How does the weight of the object affect the torque?

The weight of the object does not directly affect the torque. However, the weight of the object can impact the force being applied and the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, which can ultimately affect the torque.

5. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. This occurs when the force is applied in the opposite direction to the rotation of the object, resulting in a clockwise rotation instead of a counterclockwise rotation.