Solving Homework Equations: Your Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter rado5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the solution to the first problem is to use the mass-moment equation to find the torque τ = r x Fnet = dL/dt. However, the mass and length of the string are constant, so the equation should also be substituted for L in the second problem. When you do this, you get τ = mglsinα which is the correct answer.
rado5

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=29303&stc=1&d=1287747838.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Torque of force.jpg
    Torque of force.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
hi rado5! :smile:

(have an alpha: α and an omega: ω and a tau: τ :wink:)

to clarify: is this a mass m on a string of length l and tension T rotating at angle α with angular velocity ω?

or is there also a horizontal cable with tension F? :confused:

assuming the former, you've calculated τ (about the vertical axis) using the wrong force …

τ is r x -mgz, not r x F

(T and F don't count because they go through the vertical axis; F also doesn't count if there's no horizontal cable, because then you just invented F) :wink:

Hi tiny-tim!

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Yes, this is a mass m on a string of length l and tension T rotating at angle α with angular velocity ω.

attachment.php?attachmentid=29312&stc=1&d=1287755883.jpg

Attachments

• Torque of force 2.jpg
    Torque of force 2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 436
hi rado5! :smile:

i'm getting confused … it would be easier if you typed your answer, instead of giving us a photo of your handwriting

you're trying to do τ = r x Fnet = dL/dt

but about the vertical axis, L is constant, and τ is zero

we solve this sort of problem with the ordinary linear F = ma equation​

Hi tiny-tim!

tiny-tim said:
you're trying to do τ = r x Fnet = dL/dt

but about the vertical axis, L is constant, and τ is zero

we solve this sort of problem with the ordinary linear F = ma equation​

There are two problems in my book. The first one is an example with its solution. As I told you before the solution is [tex] \vec{\tau}=mglsin\alpha \vec{e_{\theta}} [/tex] for the problem [tex] \vec{\tau}= \vec{r} \times \vec{F} [/tex]. The second one is a problem with no solution which asks "Is [tex] \vec{\tau}= \frac{d\vec{L}}{dt} [/tex] correct for [tex] \vec{\tau}= \vec{r} \times \vec{F} [/tex] in the first example". I have been trying to show that it must be correct. I mean I have to show that [tex] \vec{\tau}= \vec{r} \times \vec{F} = \frac{d\vec{L}}{dt} [/tex].

oh i see now!

the confusion is that you're not treating τ and L as vectors

your τ is calculated about the top of the string, and is r x -mgz,

with (as you say) magnitude mglsinα, and direction tangential

your L (calculated about the top of the string) is r x v, which is sticking up diagonally outward

L's vertical component is constant, so you need only bother with d/dt of its horizontal component …

that should give you the required τ = dL/dt :smile:

Hi tiny-tim!

Thank you very much for your kind help.

I think my book solved the first example in a bad way!

I was very naive about [tex]\vec{L}[/tex], because I wrote [tex] \vec{L} = mlr \omega \vec{e_{r}} [/tex] which is wrong! Because [tex] \vec{r} = lsin \alpha \vec{e_{r}} - lcos \alpha \vec{k} [/tex] and [tex] \vec{v} = r \omega \vec{e_{\theta}} [/tex] so [tex] \vec{L} = \vec{r} \times mv = mlr \omega cos \alpha \vec{e_{r}} + mlr \omega sin \alpha \vec{k} [/tex].

Now we have [tex] \vec{\tau}= \frac{d \vec{L}}{dt} = mlr \omega ^{2} cos \alpha \vec{e_{\theta}} = lFcos \alpha \vec{e_{\theta}} [/tex].

[tex] \vec{\tau} = lmgtan \alpha cos \alpha \vec{e_{\theta}} [/tex]

[tex] \vec{\tau} = mglsin \alpha \vec{e_{\theta}} [/tex] which is the right answer!

you got it! :biggrin:

1. What is the purpose of a step-by-step guide for solving homework equations?

A step-by-step guide for solving homework equations helps students understand the process of solving equations and provides a structured approach to problem-solving. It can also serve as a reference for students to refer back to when they encounter similar equations in the future.

2. How can I use a step-by-step guide to solve equations more efficiently?

By following the steps outlined in the guide, you can break down complex equations into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help you identify any mistakes or errors more easily and make the process of solving equations more efficient.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations?

Some common mistakes when solving equations include not properly distributing negative signs, forgetting to apply the order of operations, and incorrectly combining like terms. It is important to double-check your work and be mindful of these common errors.

4. How can I check my answer after solving an equation?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a calculator to verify your solution. If your answer does not satisfy the equation, double-check your work to see if you made any mistakes.

5. Are there any tips for solving equations more effectively?

Some tips for solving equations more effectively include carefully reading and understanding the problem before attempting to solve it, using the correct order of operations, and constantly checking your work as you go. It can also be helpful to practice regularly and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.