Calculating Torque and Work on an Electric Dipole in a Uniform Electric Field

In summary, we have an electric dipole consisting of two opposite charges of 2uC separated by 10cm in the x-y plane. This dipole is placed in an electric field of 10 N/C along the x-axis with a direction of p +45 degrees from the x-axis. To determine the torque on the dipole, we use the formula T = p X E, which simplifies to T = pEsin(theta). We can also calculate the work required to move the dipole from 45 degrees to 180 degrees using W = pE(cos(theta1)-cos(theta2)). However, the fact that the dipole rotates from 45 degrees to 180 degrees instead of 0 degrees may be due to
tropskaerf
An electric dipole in the x-y plane consists of two opposite charges with magnitudes of 2uC placed 10cm apart. The dipole is placed in an electric field of 10 N/C along the x-axis with a direction of p +45 degrees from the x axis.
1)Determine the magnitude and direction of torque on the dipole
2)How much work will you have to do to move the dipole from 45 degrees to 180 degrees.

So far i know that T= p X E which equals pEsin(theta) and I know that p = QL. Would the charge Q be equal to 2uC as described in the problem? I also don't understand why the dipole would rotate from 45 degrees to 180 degrees rather than down to 0 degrees when both of these directions would follow the electric field is this because of the orientation of the positive and negative charges?

I feel like simply plugging into pEsin(theta) to get QLEsin(theta) = 2uC*10cm*10N/C*sin(45) would be too simple to calculate the torque.

I know that work is the integration of torque between the two angles and that doing so would get me W= pE(cos(theta1)-cos(theta2)) i also feel like plugging in here to get W = -QLE(cos(theta2)-cos(theta1))= -2uC*10cm*10N/C*(cos(180)-cos(45)) would be too simple and not correct.

also, i know that many of these variables are vectors but i don't know how to display the arrows above them on here.

any help would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind i figured it out

Can you tell us how you figured it out?

1. What is torque on a dipole?

Torque on a dipole is the measure of the rotational force applied to a dipole in an electric field. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the dipole moment.

2. How is torque on a dipole different from force on a dipole?

While force on a dipole measures the overall force applied to a dipole in an electric field, torque on a dipole specifically measures the rotational force. This is because torque takes into account the direction of the electric field and the orientation of the dipole.

3. What factors affect the torque on a dipole?

The torque on a dipole is affected by the magnitude of the electric field, the dipole moment, and the angle between the electric field and the dipole moment vectors. Additionally, the distance between the charges in the dipole and the strength of the charges also play a role.

4. How is torque on a dipole related to potential energy?

Torque on a dipole is related to potential energy through the equation U = -pE cosθ, where U is the potential energy, p is the dipole moment, E is the electric field, and θ is the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field. This equation shows that the potential energy is directly proportional to the torque on the dipole.

5. Can torque on a dipole be zero?

Yes, torque on a dipole can be zero if the angle between the electric field and the dipole moment is either 0 degrees or 180 degrees. In these cases, the dipole is either aligned with or opposite to the electric field, resulting in no rotational force.