Torque on a Non-Circular Pulley

In summary, to find the torque and velocity as a function of position for a non-circular pulley, you need to calculate the torques due to the force of gravity, cable tension, and any other external forces, and then sum them to determine the total torque on the pulley. This total torque can then be used to calculate the angular acceleration and thus the velocity and position as a function of time.
Axecutioner

Homework Statement

u2AmK.png

Homework Equations

Shown Below

The Attempt at a Solution

MnlH6.jpg

I need to find the torque (or even better, velocity) as a function of position. Right now I have mass and centroid (to find the force of gravity on the pulley at any position). Not sure if the mass moment of inertia is right. I need to know now is how the non-circularity of the pulley affects the net torque on it. I'm guessing there has to be some kind of integral of the perpendicular to the surface of the pulley but I'm not sure. Of course, this will have to be split up into 2 phases - when the cable isn't tangent to the pulley and after it is.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mass of the pulley: mCentroid: cRadius of the pulley: RMass moment of inertia: I = (1/2)*m*R^2Force of gravity on pulley: Fg = m*gThe net torque on the pulley will be equal to the sum of the torques due to the force of gravity, the tension on the cable, and any other external forces. The torque due to the force of gravity is simply I*Fg, where I is the mass moment of inertia of the pulley. The torque due to the cable tension is equal to the tension multiplied by the lever arm (the perpendicular distance from the centroid to the point at which the cable is attached).The torque due to any other external forces will depend on the specific situation. If there are any such forces, then it should be possible to calculate the torque by determining the lever arm for each force and then multiplying the magnitude of each force by its respective lever arm.Once all the torques have been calculated, they can be summed to determine the total torque on the pulley. This total torque can then be used to calculate the angular acceleration of the pulley (assuming it is not already rotating at a constant rate) and thus the velocity and position as a function of time.

1. What is torque on a non-circular pulley?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. On a non-circular pulley, torque refers to the twisting force that is applied to the pulley as it rotates.

2. How is torque calculated on a non-circular pulley?

To calculate torque on a non-circular pulley, you need to know the applied force, the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force, and the radius of the pulley. The formula for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is the applied force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force.

3. What factors affect the torque on a non-circular pulley?

The torque on a non-circular pulley is affected by the applied force, the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force, and the radius of the pulley. Additionally, the shape and weight distribution of the pulley can also impact the torque.

4. How does torque on a non-circular pulley differ from torque on a circular pulley?

The main difference between torque on a non-circular pulley and torque on a circular pulley is that on a non-circular pulley, the torque is not constant throughout the rotation. This is because the radius changes as the pulley rotates, resulting in a varying distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force.

5. What is the significance of torque on a non-circular pulley?

The torque on a non-circular pulley is important in understanding the mechanical behavior of the pulley and its impact on the overall system. It can also be used to calculate the power and efficiency of the pulley, and is essential in designing and analyzing pulley systems in various applications.