Torque on a suspended plank

• Thread starter tzar1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the problem involves calculating the tensions T1 and T2 in a balanced situation, using the equations Στ = 0, τ = F⋅r, and F = mg. By treating the left and right sides as fixed points, the vertical components of T1 and T2 can be solved for and verified by checking the sum of the forces up and down. However, the horizontal components of the tensions cannot be determined without knowing the angles of T1 and T2.
tzar1990

Homework Statement

The object is balance. Calculate T1 and T2. (yes, this plus the diagram is really the entirety of the question)

2stsFYi.png

Homework Equations

Στ = 0
τ = F⋅r
F = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

First, we treat the left side as a fixed point and solve for the vertical component of T2

Στ = 0
20⋅9.8⋅1 + 10⋅9.8⋅1.5 - 2T2y = 0
343 = 2T2y
T2y = 171.5

Next, we treat the right side as fixed and solve for the vertical component of of T1
Στ = 0
0.5⋅10⋅9.8 + 1⋅20⋅9.8 - 2⋅T1Y = 0
245 = 2T1Y
T1Y = 122.5

To verify, we check that the sum of the forces up should equal the sum of the forces down
T1Y + T2Y = 20*9.8 + 10 * 9.8
171.5 + 122.5 = 196 + 98
294 = 294

And this is the point where I get stuck. As far as I can tell, the situation is balanced for all cases where the force left due to T1 is equal to the force right due to T2, meaning you have everything from the case where both wires are vertical (and thus the x-components of their tension is zero) to the case where both are nearly horizontal (and the x-components of both approach infinity) being true.

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you know the angles which T1 and T2 make with the horizontal, you can't work out the horizontal components of the tension.
Writing the moment equation can only give you the vertical component of the tensions.

Thank you! That's what I told my student, but she seemed doubtful that an official question would have a misprint like that. Nice to hear that I'm not just missing something obvious.

SteamKing said:
Unless you know the angles which T1 and T2 make with the horizontal, you can't work out the horizontal components of the tension.
... except that, knowing one angle would do.

I would suggest that you consider the physical constraints of the problem. While the equations you have used are correct, they only represent a mathematical solution. In reality, the plank cannot be in a state where the tension in both wires is zero or infinity. Therefore, the solution you have obtained may not be physically feasible.

You may need to consider other factors such as the weight and dimensions of the plank, the strength and elasticity of the wires, and any other external forces acting on the system. These factors could affect the equilibrium state of the plank and the tension in the wires. It may also be helpful to draw a free body diagram for each wire and consider the forces acting on them separately.

Additionally, it is important to note that the torque equation you have used assumes that the forces are acting at a perpendicular distance from the pivot point. In this case, the forces are acting at an angle, so you may need to use trigonometry to calculate the perpendicular components of the forces.

Overall, as a scientist, it is important to always consider the physical constraints and real-world implications of a mathematical solution. It may be necessary to make assumptions or simplifications in order to obtain a practical and feasible solution.

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point, or axis of rotation.

2. How does the angle of the suspended plank affect the torque?

The angle of the suspended plank affects the torque by changing the distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force. The greater the angle, the longer the distance and therefore, the greater the torque.

3. What is the relationship between the weight of the plank and the torque?

The weight of the plank does not directly affect the torque. However, if the weight is distributed unevenly, it can create a torque imbalance which can cause the plank to rotate.

4. How does the length of the plank impact the torque?

The length of the plank affects the torque by changing the distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force. A longer plank will have a greater distance and therefore, a greater torque.

5. Can the direction of the force affect the torque on a suspended plank?

Yes, the direction of the force can affect the torque. The direction of the force determines the angle at which it acts and therefore, the distance from the pivot point. A force acting perpendicular to the plank will have a greater torque than a force acting parallel to the plank.