What Is the Net Torque on a Uniform Beam?

In summary, the net torque on the 4.5-m-long uniform beam can be calculated by finding the summation of forces along the pole, which in this case is equal to 8.5 N. This value is then multiplied by the length of the bar to get 38 Nm. To find the torque around point P, the formula used is the component of force perpendicular to the rod times the distance from the point. For example, for the uppermost force, the torque is equal to 56*sin(30)*4.5/2.
Hotsuma

Homework Statement

Determine the net torque on the 4.5-m-long uniform beam shown in the figure:
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1057865/3/GIANCOLI.ch10.p030.jpg"

A) Calculate about point C, the center of mass (CM)

B)Calculate about point P at one end.

Homework Equations

[itex]\tau=F*\theta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In this case I have the answers for the values with the same figure, so I know the summation of forces along this pole must be equal to 8.5 N. From there I multiply the length of my bar to get 38 Nm, which is correct. However, I don't know how to get this from the figure. From there, I have no idea how to get the torque around point p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The formula is not correct. It should be the component of force perpendicular to the rod times the distance from the point.

For the uppermost force, it would be
Torque = 56*sin(30)*4.5/2

What is torque on a uniform beam?

Torque on a uniform beam is the measure of the force that causes rotation on a beam. It is the product of the force applied and the distance from the point of rotation to the point of application of the force.

How is torque on a uniform beam calculated?

Torque on a uniform beam can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the point of rotation to the point of application of the force. The formula is T = F x d.

What is the unit of measurement for torque on a uniform beam?

The unit of measurement for torque on a uniform beam is newton-meter (Nm) in the SI system. In the imperial system, it is measured in foot-pound (ft-lb).

How does the weight of the beam affect the torque?

The weight of the beam has no effect on the torque. Torque only depends on the force applied and the distance from the point of rotation to the point of application of the force.

What are some real-life applications of torque on a uniform beam?

Some real-life applications of torque on a uniform beam include construction of bridges and buildings, operation of seesaws and levers, and tightening of bolts and screws.