Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque on a wheel

1. Jan 12, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    For a project, I'm using spinning wheels to accelerate a foam ball. I know the output motor stats (rpm), torque, etc. It's connected by a pulley to a sprocket, which is then connected by a shaft to the spinning wheel. I'm wondering, how would I do the calcs from the motor to the spinning wheel? It's pretty urgent, so any help is appreciated.
    The formula's I'[ve tried are T = F * d, but I'm not sure how the torque varies across the system.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2012 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

As long as there's some minimal amount of torque sufficient to get the wheel up to speed in a reasonable time, it doesn't matter. The momentum of the entire system, will be more of a factor than the torque from the motor when launching a foam ball. The main issue will be to gear the system so the wheel spins at the rpm you want to produce the speed you want.

You mention wheels, so I assume this is two sets of motor, pulley, wheel?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  4. Jan 12, 2012 #3
    No, it's two wheels on one axle, but I can adjust that...let's assume 1 for now. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook