1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque on a wire with current

1. Mar 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There are two wires in parallel with the current traveling to the left in both. Find the direction of the torque on the top wire due to the bottom wire.

2. Relevant equations

torque=μ×B

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I can use the right hand rule to find the direction of the b-field using the currents. So, at the top wire the b-field is pointing into the page. I'm not quite sure where μ is here since i thought that only applied to current loops.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Gee Wiz! :smile:
    if you like, you can complete a loop by adding an imaginary third wire, below the bottom wire, with current going to the right, so that you can make a loop out of any section of the top wire and the new wire :wink:

4. Mar 2, 2013 #3
    So, you mean having the top wire loop with the third bottom wire with the current going in the counterclockwise direction. Then having u point out of the page, and when that is crossed with b the torque would be zero. ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted