Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque on an open-ended rectangle

1. Jan 21, 2010 #1
    I was at work and we build a "fence" on a trailor to keep the load in place, and we got into a disagreement about how much stress would be on each corner if we hit a bump and the boards moved up unequally. Now, there's a lot more physics in that scenario than the one I am describing but I think this simplified version answers my question.

Which point would have more stress in this example:

stressPts.jpg

I would imagine the only force we'd be calling stress on a corner would be the torque. Since lbs is a weight it already takes gravity into account so it would be 4 ft-lbs of torque on pt. A. On point be we would figure out the distance to weight with

a2+b2 = c2

4+4 = 8

c = 2.8284271247461900976033774484194

stressPts2.jpg

But the force of gravity is at a 45° angle to the radius so we use c sin 45 which is 2 ft.

So for pt. B, 2 lbs at 2 ft = 4 ft-lbs the same as A.

I tried with a couple of other rectangles and it was always the same...is that true?

Also, I am less sure of the physics but I think with a 4 sided rectangle if a force is applied parallel to one of the sides the torque on each corner would be equal?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted