Atwoods: Deriving Torque Relation with R

• Thread starter breez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the problem asks for the net torque on the entire system about the center of the pulley. The force (mg) acts vertically and R is the perpendicular distance to the axis. Each torque is just:\tau = \vec{r} \times \vec{F} = RF = mg
breez
A pulley with radius R is free to rotate on a horizontal fixed axis through its center. A string passes over the pulley. Mass m1 is attached to one end and mass m2 is attached to the other. The portion of the string attached to m1 has tension T1 and the portion attached to m2 has tension T2. The magnitude of the total external torque, about the pulley center, acting on the masses and pulley, considered as a system, is given by:

(m1 – m2)gR

Can someone explain how to derive this relation? Why is the distance just R?

Physics news on Phys.org
The force (mg) acts vertically and R is the perpendicular distance to the axis. So each torque is just:

[tex]\tau = \vec{r} \times \vec{F} = RF = mgR[/tex]

I thought the force a acting perpendicular to the center of pulley is tension, not gravity.

breez said:
I thought the force a acting perpendicular to the center of pulley is tension, not gravity.
The force on the pulley is the tension, not the weight. But I thought you were asking about the net torque on the entire system, not just on the pulley. (A perfectly valid way to analyze the problem, but I would not recommend it.)

Hmm,

The problem asks for the net torque on the entire system about the center of the pulley. I believe the gravitational forces, m1g and m2g are acting at the center of masses of the two masses, which are some distance from the center. I am confused how to calculate the net torque because I thought you had to add all the individual torques, which would mean I would need to know the distance at any time between the center of mass of each mass and the center of the pulley.

I'm sorry, but I do not see the reasoning behind just adding up all the forces on the system and multiplying by R.

breez said:
The problem asks for the net torque on the entire system about the center of the pulley. I believe the gravitational forces, m1g and m2g are acting at the center of masses of the two masses, which are some distance from the center.
You can certainly do it that way also. You'll get the same answer.
I am confused how to calculate the net torque because I thought you had to add all the individual torques, which would mean I would need to know the distance at any time between the center of mass of each mass and the center of the pulley.
All you need is the perpendicular distance. Consider this:
[tex]\tau = \vec{r} \times \vec{F} = rF\sin\theta[/tex]

While the distance r is constantly changing, what counts is [itex]r\sin\theta[/itex]--which is constant and equal to R.
I'm sorry, but I do not see the reasoning behind just adding up all the forces on the system and multiplying by R.
You need to firm up your understanding of torque and how to calculate it.

Yeah, you're right. I forgot it was the moment arm, since it's the cross product. Wow.

1. What is the purpose of Atwoods: Deriving Torque Relation with R?

The purpose of Atwoods: Deriving Torque Relation with R is to demonstrate the relationship between torque and radius in an Atwood's machine. This experiment helps to understand the principles of rotational motion and how torque is affected by changes in radius.

2. What materials are needed to conduct the Atwoods: Deriving Torque Relation with R experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include an Atwood's machine setup, weights, a ruler or measuring tape, a stopwatch, and a calculator. It is also recommended to have a notebook for recording data and observations.

3. How do you derive the torque relation with R in the Atwoods experiment?

To derive the torque relation with R, you will need to measure the radius of the pulley, the masses of the weights, and the time it takes for the system to reach equilibrium. You can then use the equation T = m*g*R to calculate the torque for each weight, and then use the principle of moments to determine the relationship between torque and radius.

4. What variables can affect the results of the Atwoods: Deriving Torque Relation with R experiment?

The variables that can affect the results of this experiment include the mass of the weights, the radius of the pulley, and the time it takes for the system to reach equilibrium. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also have an impact on the results.

5. What are the potential sources of error in the Atwoods: Deriving Torque Relation with R experiment?

Potential sources of error in this experiment include measurement errors, such as inaccurate readings of mass or radius, and human error in timing the system. Friction and air resistance can also introduce errors in the results. It is important to minimize these errors by taking multiple measurements and ensuring the setup is as free from external influences as possible.