How Do Two Dipoles Affect Each Other's Torque?

In summary, to find the torque applied to each dipole due to the other, you will need to use the equations provided and consider the orientation and distance between the dipoles. The angle theta represents the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field, and the angle phi represents the angle between the two dipoles. Make sure to carefully consider these factors and use the correct units and constants in your calculations. Good luck!
minimark1234

Homework Statement

Two dipoles as in pic below a distance r apart, find the torque applied to each dipole due to the other.
[tex]\uparrow1 ------------2\rightarrow[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\itshape \vec{p}=p(cos\:\theta \hat{r}-sin\:\theta\hat{\theta})[/tex]
[tex]\itshape \vec{E}=\frac{p}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r^{3}}\: (2cos\:\theta\hat{r}+sin\:\theta\hat{\theta})[/tex]
[tex]\itshape \vec{N}=\vec{p}\:X\:\vec{E}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

well i only am concerning myself with the non constants in the cross product.
[tex]\itshape \vec{N}=\vec{p_{2}}\:X\:\vec{E_{1}}[/tex]
[tex]\itshape (cos\:\theta\hat{r}-sin\:\theta\hat{\theta})X(2cos\:\theta\hat{r}+sin\:\theta\hat{\theta})[/tex]
ok this is where i am confused... do i use \theta as angle under the z axis for the direction the dipole and electric field are pointing, or do i use them for angles of separation or what? if i use them for angle under the z axis for the vector it is pertaining to i get the torque will be [tex]-3cos\:\theta sin\:\theta sin \:\phi\hat{i}+3cos\:\theta sin\:\theta cos \:\phi\hat{j}[/tex], which applying angles under z axis is 0. But that isn't what the answer should be.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there, thank you for your question. In order to find the torque applied to each dipole due to the other, you will need to use the equations you have provided and consider the orientation of the dipoles and the distance between them. The angle theta should represent the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field, and the angle phi should represent the angle between the two dipoles. The torque will depend on the specific orientation and distance of the dipoles, so make sure to carefully consider these factors when solving for the torque. Also, remember to use the correct units and constants in your calculations. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

What is torque on a dipole?

Torque on a dipole refers to the rotational force experienced by a dipole in an external electric field. It is a measure of the tendency of the dipole to rotate in response to the electric field.

How is torque on a dipole calculated?

The torque on a dipole can be calculated using the formula τ = pEsinθ, where τ is the torque, p is the dipole moment, E is the electric field strength, and θ is the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field vector.

What factors affect the magnitude of torque on a dipole?

The magnitude of torque on a dipole is affected by the strength of the electric field, the dipole moment, and the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field vector. It is also influenced by the distance between the charges in the dipole and the direction of the dipole moment.

What is the direction of torque on a dipole?

The direction of torque on a dipole is perpendicular to both the dipole moment and the electric field vector. It follows the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the dipole moment, and the fingers point in the direction of the electric field vector, and the torque is in the direction of the palm.

How is torque on a dipole related to potential energy?

The potential energy of a dipole in an electric field is directly related to the torque experienced by the dipole. As the dipole rotates, it moves from a position of higher potential energy to a position of lower potential energy, and the difference in energy is equal to the work done by the torque.