What is the Torque on an Outstretched Arm with a 21.5 N Weight?

• Thread starter BuBbLeS01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arm Torque
In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the torque produced by a 21.5 N weight held by a person with a shoulder-to-elbow length of 33.5 cm and an elbow-to-wrist length of 23.0 cm. The center of the weight is 6.5 cm from the person's wrist. The equation used is T=rF where T1 is the torque at the elbow, T2 is the torque at the wrist, and T3 is the torque at the hand with the weight. The solution involves setting up the equation T1D1 + T2(D1+D2) - T3(D1 + D2 + D3) = 0 and solving for T1,
BuBbLeS01

Homework Statement

A 21.5 N weight is held in the outstretched hand of a person with a shoulder-to-elbow length of 33.5 cm and an elbow-to-wrist length of 23.0 cm. The center of the weight is 6.5 cm from the person's wrist. Determine the magnitude of the torque about the elbow produced by the weight.

Homework Equations

T=rF

The Attempt at a Solution

T1 - Elbow
T2 - Wrist
T3 - Hand w/weight
T1D1 + T2(D1+D2) - T3(D1 + D2 + D3) = 0
T1 = -T2(.565m) + T3(.63)/.335

I know I am doing something wrong with the torques but I can't figure out what? I thought I just put in 21.5 N.

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to mention that I put my center of torque at the shoulder

Can I not have the center of torque there?

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is dependent on the force applied to an object and the distance between the force and the axis of rotation.

How is torque calculated on an outstretched arm?

The torque on an outstretched arm is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the arm by the distance between the force and the elbow joint. This is known as the lever arm or moment arm.

What factors affect the torque on an outstretched arm?

The torque on an outstretched arm can be affected by the magnitude and direction of the force applied, the distance between the force and the elbow joint, and the angle at which the force is applied to the arm.

How does torque on an outstretched arm relate to muscle strength?

The torque on an outstretched arm is directly related to muscle strength. The greater the muscle strength, the more force can be applied to the arm, resulting in a greater torque.

What are some practical applications of understanding torque on an outstretched arm?

Understanding torque on an outstretched arm can be useful in sports and physical activities that require arm strength, such as weightlifting, pitching in baseball, and throwing a javelin. It can also be important in ergonomics and workplace safety, as certain tasks may require excessive torque on the arms, leading to strain and injury if not performed properly.