1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque on Pulley sitting on moving belt

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a Pulley (or just a wheel) sitting on a moving belt being pulled with force Fa with some unknown friction between the pulley and the belt. The pulley rotates without slipping on the belt. Draw a freebody diagram of the pulley and the belt.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I feel bad asking this question because it is so basic, but for some reason I am just stuck between two possibilities.

so for the belt my free body diagram looks like:
    Friction to the left, the applied force to the right, and the weight of the belt down and normal force up.

Now for the Pulley:
    Weight of the pulley down, normal force up.
    Now, there is a Force to the right, which creates a torque on the pulley, due to the friction with the belt. My question is:

1) is the force to the right(on the pulley) = to the frictional force on the belt?

or

2) force to the right(on the pulley) = Force applied - Frictional force(both of the belt)

I believe the Torque on the pulley is only due to friction, so I would assume 1 is correct, but I've heard arguments for 2, and since 2 is a force to the right, since Fapplied > Ffriction, its been bugging me which is correct.

Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted