Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque or horsepower needed for 3 phase gearmotor, brake, VFD

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    I’ve built a light weight frame for a hoist which only needs to lift around 500 lbs. The cable spool needs to hold 250’ of 3/16 cable that can lift a submersible pump from that depth. The hoist will also be used to develop the well and without going into great detail about this, I’ll just say I need the spool to be variable speed with a holding brake with the RPMS from 0-100. I could do all this with hydraulics which I know more about but I would like to explore the idea of a 3 phase gear motor with a constant brake, reduction to 20:1 gear box and a variable frequency drive. I need help in knowing what minimal horsepower motor I’m looking for and what type of brake would be sufficient to hold the load. Also, I need an adequate VFD converter from 1 phase 115 v to 3 phase 208-230 with some kind speed control by a foot pedal if possible to keep my hands free. Some VFD’s can’t be used above 3,000’ altitude and I’ll be using this at 7,200’ ( a Nema 4 enclosure maybe appropriate because I’ll be using it outside). And to top all this off, I need the motor, gearbox and VFD combined to weigh 40 lbs. or less. Now if there is a simpler way to do this, like a brushless motor with speed control or something, let me know. It needs to be 115 volt system with constant torque with the ability to hold the cable.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted