Solve Torque Problem: 1.42M at 41.6 cm?

• Thread starter NasuSama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, to keep the system in equilibrium, mass 1.42M must be hung at approximately 41.6 cm from the 0 cm mark, which is the middle point of the ruler. Hanging it at a negative value, as calculated in the second attempt, would result in an unstable system.
NasuSama

Homework Statement

Suppose the ruler in procedure 2 is asymetrical, and it is balanced at the 40.9 cm mark (at the center of mass). Now, mass M is hung on the ruler at the 100 cm mark. Where must you hang mass 1.42M so the system remains in equilibrium?
At the ... cm mark

Homework Equations

Torque equations...

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it goes this way...

1.42Mg(x) = Mg(100 - 40.9) where x is the distance from the 0 cm mark

Then, I get x ≈ 41.6 cm, but it's marked incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait. It's..

1.42Mg(40.9 - x) = Mg(100 - 40.9)

Then, I obtain negative value, which is around...

x ≈ -0.720

What is a difference between x = 41.6 cm and the negative value -0.72 cm? There should be a difference between them.

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point where the force is applied.

2. How do I solve for torque?

To solve for torque, you need to know the force applied and the distance from the pivot point. You can use the formula T = F x d, where T is torque, F is the force, and d is the distance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of measurement for torque is Newton-meters (N*m) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

4. How do I convert torque from one unit to another?

To convert torque from N*m to ft-lb, you can use the conversion factor of 1 N*m = 0.7376 ft-lb. Multiply the torque in N*m by 0.7376 to get the equivalent value in ft-lb.

5. Can I use torque to solve problems in real-life situations?

Yes, torque is a very useful concept in various real-life situations, such as in mechanical engineering, physics, and even sports. It helps in designing machines and structures that can withstand the forces applied to them.