1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque problem (rod)

1. Mar 21, 2008 #1
    1. A uniform horizontal rod of mass 3 kg and length 0.25 m is free to pivot about one end. The moment of inertia about an axis perpendicular to the rod and through the Center of Mass is given by I = [tex]\frac{ml^{2}}{12}[/tex]

If 8.9 force at an angle of 40 degrees to the horizontal acts on the rod, what's the magnitude of the resulting angular acceleration?

[​IMG]

2. Here's what I did.

[tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]\tau[/tex] = I [tex]\alpha[/tex] = ?

[tex]\tau[/tex] = LFsin[tex]\theta[/tex] = I [tex]\alpha[/tex]

Given an I, but the wrong I, I substituted the moment for a rod spinning on the edge, not the center of mass. Giving me...

[tex]\tau[/tex] = [tex]\frac{m^L{2}}{3}[/tex] [tex]\alpha[/tex]

I rearranged and plugged in my values for the alpha, and I ended up with...

1/3 [tex]\alpha[/tex] = [tex]\frac{Fsin\Theta}{ML}[/tex]

[tex]\alpha[/tex] = 3 * [tex]\frac{8.9 * sin (40)}{3 * 0.25}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2008 #2
    if you break the force vector into components, you get that the horizontal compontant is Fcos*theta and the vertical component is Fsin*theta

in your torque diagram, the weight of the rod is at the center (r=l/2) and causes the rod to want to go clockwise. the vertical component of the force vector (Fsin*theta) wants to make the rod go counterclockwise.

this means that the sum of the torques should equal: (Fsin*theta*l)-(m*g*l/2)

its l/2 because the weight of the rod comes from the center of the rod, at a radius of l/2

4. Mar 22, 2008 #3
    So, given that I can apply the same idea I was going for to find out Alpha and set the sum of the torques equal: I * alpha (angular acceleration), or would I have to do two separate equations and find a resultant vector for the acceleration plugging in the two separate components of "F" into that equation you have presented.

5. Mar 22, 2008 #4
    you would write one torque equation containing both forces and at whar radii the forces are at. i did it real fast and got this. from here you should be abkle to find alphuhhhh dawwgwggg

[​IMG]

6. Mar 22, 2008 #5
    So Just set the radii to (0.25/2) because at w_r you are at the CoM? This would give something along the lines of T = w_r - Fsin(40) and set that to I alpha? replacing the radii in I with (0.25/2)???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?