Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Torque problem (rod)

1. Mar 21, 2008 #1
    1. A uniform horizontal rod of mass 3 kg and length 0.25 m is free to pivot about one end. The moment of inertia about an axis perpendicular to the rod and through the Center of Mass is given by I = [tex]\frac{ml^{2}}{12}[/tex]

If 8.9 force at an angle of 40 degrees to the horizontal acts on the rod, what's the magnitude of the resulting angular acceleration?

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3267/torqueproblemscy6.jpg [Broken]

2. Here's what I did.

[tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]\tau[/tex] = I [tex]\alpha[/tex] = ?

[tex]\tau[/tex] = LFsin[tex]\theta[/tex] = I [tex]\alpha[/tex]

Given an I, but the wrong I, I substituted the moment for a rod spinning on the edge, not the center of mass. Giving me...

[tex]\tau[/tex] = [tex]\frac{m^L{2}}{3}[/tex] [tex]\alpha[/tex]

I rearranged and plugged in my values for the alpha, and I ended up with...

1/3 [tex]\alpha[/tex] = [tex]\frac{Fsin\Theta}{ML}[/tex]

[tex]\alpha[/tex] = 3 * [tex]\frac{8.9 * sin (40)}{3 * 0.25}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2008 #2
    if you break the force vector into components, you get that the horizontal compontant is Fcos*theta and the vertical component is Fsin*theta

in your torque diagram, the weight of the rod is at the center (r=l/2) and causes the rod to want to go clockwise. the vertical component of the force vector (Fsin*theta) wants to make the rod go counterclockwise.

this means that the sum of the torques should equal: (Fsin*theta*l)-(m*g*l/2)

its l/2 because the weight of the rod comes from the center of the rod, at a radius of l/2

4. Mar 22, 2008 #3
    So, given that I can apply the same idea I was going for to find out Alpha and set the sum of the torques equal: I * alpha (angular acceleration), or would I have to do two separate equations and find a resultant vector for the acceleration plugging in the two separate components of "F" into that equation you have presented.

5. Mar 22, 2008 #4
    So Just set the radii to (0.25/2) because at w_r you are at the CoM? This would give something along the lines of T = w_r - Fsin(40) and set that to I alpha? replacing the radii in I with (0.25/2)???

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook