Solve for Angular Acceleration: Torque Problem on a Uniform Rod

• Thread starter jrrodri7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rod Torque
In summary, an uniform horizontal rod of mass 3 kg and length 0.25 m is free to pivot about one end. The moment of inertia about an axis perpendicular to the rod and through the Center of Mass is given by I = \frac{ml^{2}}{12}. If 8.9 force at an angle of 40 degrees to the horizontal acts on the rod, what's the magnitude of the resulting angular acceleration?
jrrodri7
1. A uniform horizontal rod of mass 3 kg and length 0.25 m is free to pivot about one end. The moment of inertia about an axis perpendicular to the rod and through the Center of Mass is given by I = [tex]\frac{ml^{2}}{12}[/tex]

If 8.9 force at an angle of 40 degrees to the horizontal acts on the rod, what's the magnitude of the resulting angular acceleration?http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3267/torqueproblemscy6.jpg

2. Here's what I did.

[tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]\tau[/tex] = I [tex]\alpha[/tex] = ?

[tex]\tau[/tex] = LFsin[tex]\theta[/tex] = I [tex]\alpha[/tex]

Given an I, but the wrong I, I substituted the moment for a rod spinning on the edge, not the center of mass. Giving me...

[tex]\tau[/tex] = [tex]\frac{m^L{2}}{3}[/tex] [tex]\alpha[/tex]

I rearranged and plugged in my values for the alpha, and I ended up with...

1/3 [tex]\alpha[/tex] = [tex]\frac{Fsin\Theta}{ML}[/tex][tex]\alpha[/tex] = 3 * [tex]\frac{8.9 * sin (40)}{3 * 0.25}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
if you break the force vector into components, you get that the horizontal compontant is Fcos*theta and the vertical component is Fsin*theta

in your torque diagram, the weight of the rod is at the center (r=l/2) and causes the rod to want to go clockwise. the vertical component of the force vector (Fsin*theta) wants to make the rod go counterclockwise.

this means that the sum of the torques should equal: (Fsin*theta*l)-(m*g*l/2)

its l/2 because the weight of the rod comes from the center of the rod, at a radius of l/2

So, given that I can apply the same idea I was going for to find out Alpha and set the sum of the torques equal: I * alpha (angular acceleration), or would I have to do two separate equations and find a resultant vector for the acceleration plugging in the two separate components of "F" into that equation you have presented.

So Just set the radii to (0.25/2) because at w_r you are at the CoM? This would give something along the lines of T = w_r - Fsin(40) and set that to I alpha? replacing the radii in I with (0.25/2)?

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the turning or twisting force applied to a rotating object. It is commonly measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lbs).

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The equation for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is distance.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative torque?

Positive torque causes an object to rotate in a clockwise direction, while negative torque causes it to rotate counterclockwise. This is determined by the direction of the force and the direction of rotation.

4. How does the length of a rod affect torque?

The longer the rod, the greater the distance from the force to the center of rotation, resulting in a larger torque. This is because the longer the distance, the more leverage the force has to rotate the object.

5. How does the weight of a rod affect torque?

The weight of a rod has a direct effect on the torque it can produce. Heavier rods will require more force to rotate, resulting in a greater torque. This is why heavier objects are more difficult to move or rotate than lighter objects of the same size.