Torque problem with a crate

• Thread starter ama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, a horizontal force needs to be applied to the top of a 14.1 kg uniform cube with sides 1.21 m in length, resting on a floor with a coefficient of static friction of 0.551, in order to cause it to start tipping. The torque should be taken around one of the four lower edges, balancing the torque due to the weight of the crate.
ama

Homework Statement

A uniform crate with a mass of 14.1 kg rests on a floor with a coefficient of static friction equal to 0.551. The crate is a uniform cube with sides 1.21 m in length.
If a horizontal force is applied to the top of the crate, what is the magnitude of the horizontal force needed to cause it to start tipping?
uS=.551
mass=14.1

Homework Equations

t=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to solve this problem,but i know it has something to do with torques. What do i set the axis of rotation to so i can get the torque caused by friction and normal.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it has something to do with the torque.

Assume the crate is about to tip around one of the four lower edges. Take the torque around that edge. The torque due to the horizontal force has to be balancing the torque due to weight of the crate.

1. What is torque and how does it relate to a crate?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In the context of a crate, torque refers to the force that is applied to the crate in order to rotate it around a fixed point, such as a hinge or pivot.

2. How do you calculate torque in a crate problem?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force being applied to the crate and the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is: Torque = Force x Distance.

3. What factors can affect the amount of torque needed to move a crate?

The amount of torque needed to move a crate can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the crate, the friction between the crate and the ground, and the distance from the point of rotation to the center of mass of the crate.

4. How can I increase the torque applied to a crate?

To increase the torque applied to a crate, you can either increase the force being applied or increase the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Alternatively, you can decrease the weight or friction of the crate to make it easier to rotate.

5. What are some real-life examples of torque problems with a crate?

Real-life examples of torque problems with a crate can include opening a heavy door or moving a large box using a lever. In both of these situations, torque is used to rotate the object around a fixed point in order to move it.