Calculate Net Torque: Is Your Answer Right?

In summary, the net torque can be found by using the equation T = F(d)sinx and considering all forces acting on the object. In this specific problem, the net torque is equal to -994.2 Nm, with the second term being calculated using a distance of 6m and an angle of 40 degrees, and the bottom force being projected onto a line perpendicular to the pivot at a distance of 15m.
Intrusionv2

Homework Statement

Find net torque.
2dbqwl0.jpg

Homework Equations

T = F(d) and T = F(d)sinx

Torque = T
Force = F
d = distance

The Attempt at a Solution

100(0) - 200(4)sin40 - 120(14) + 150(8) = -994.2 Nm

Did I do this correctly? Notice I crossed out the 400N also because I think that it does not affect it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I think your second term is 6m from the pivot not 4m.

Your bottom force - 150N - is 15m from the pivot not 8m as your equation suggests.

Ah, thanks, but how is 150N 15m away from the pivot point? Do I just go up? Sorry I do not understand :(

Intrusionv2 said:
Ah, thanks, but how is 150N 15m away from the pivot point? Do I just go up? Sorry I do not understand :(

It's the projection of the force to a line that is perpendicular to the pivot. That is the way you should be taking Torque.

For instance the one at an angle of 40° if you extended that out you would see that the lever arm that is perpendicular to the force is Sin40° times the 6m length.

For the bottom force it is acting horizontally, but it is acting through the vertical line from the pivot at a distance of 14 + 1 = 15.

Ahhh...that clears up so many things. Thank you so much!

1. How do I calculate net torque?

To calculate net torque, you need to multiply the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point. The formula for net torque is T = F x d, where T is the net torque, F is the force, and d is the distance from the pivot point.

2. What is the unit of measurement for net torque?

The unit of measurement for net torque is Newton-meters (N*m) in the International System of Units (SI).

3. What is the difference between net torque and torque?

Net torque is the sum of all the individual torques acting on an object, while torque is the measure of the turning or twisting force on an object. Net torque takes into account the direction and magnitude of all the torques, while torque only considers the magnitude of a single torque.

4. How can I check if my answer for net torque is correct?

You can check your answer for net torque by using the formula T = F x d and plugging in the values for force and distance. Make sure to also consider the direction of the individual torques to ensure your net torque is correct.

5. Can net torque be negative?

Yes, net torque can be negative. This indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction of the applied force. The direction of the net torque is determined by the direction of the individual torques.