1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque Problem

1. Dec 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find net torque.
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

T = F(d) and T = F(d)sinx

Torque = T
    Force = F
    d = distance

3. The attempt at a solution

100(0) - 200(4)sin40 - 120(14) + 150(8) = -994.2 Nm

Did I do this correctly? Notice I crossed out the 400N also because I think that it does not affect it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

I think your second term is 6m from the pivot not 4m.

Your bottom force - 150N - is 15m from the pivot not 8m as your equation suggests.

4. Dec 17, 2008 #3
    Ah, thanks, but how is 150N 15m away from the pivot point? Do I just go up? Sorry I do not understand :(

5. Dec 17, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

It's the projection of the force to a line that is perpendicular to the pivot. That is the way you should be taking Torque.

For instance the one at an angle of 40° if you extended that out you would see that the lever arm that is perpendicular to the force is Sin40° times the 6m length.

For the bottom force it is acting horizontally, but it is acting through the vertical line from the pivot at a distance of 14 + 1 = 15.

6. Dec 17, 2008 #5
    Ahhh...that clears up so many things. Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?