1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque Problem?

1. Oct 28, 2004 #1
    Please HELP!!!!!Torque Problem????

I have no idea how to do this! My teacher never really showed us how to determine clockwise and counterclockwise torque. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Referring to the diagram(I have attached it):
    1. Which forces create counterclockwise torques and calculate the sum of these torques.
    2. Which forces create clockwise torques and calculate the sum of these torques.

I forgot to add Xo=.4610m

This is probably very simple, but I don't have a clue!! Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2004 #2
    Please help, I added the missing Xo. How do you know if it clockwise or counterclockwise?
  4. Oct 29, 2004 #3

This was almost exactly like a problem I had on my provincial exam last year.

Depending on where you put the....jesus...whatever the triangle thing is called...the forces to the left are counter clockwise torques and to the right are clockwise torques. Think of the force pulling the beam down and the beam rotating in a C or CC motion. That's how I always thought about it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?