Rotational Equilibrium: Finding Force at Point B and D

In summary, the force at point B will cause no torque, while the force at point D will cause counterclockwise torque.
reder
Hello I've attached the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I understand that by giving us the clue of rotational equilibrium, it means net T has to be 0. The force at 10N will cause clockwise torque (T= rF, so T = .04m * 10N). The thing that confuses me is the force at point B, will it cause counterwise torque or no torque? Also I know the force that we are finding at point D will give us counterclockwise torque, but is the moment arm or lever arm going to be .04m too?

Thank You.

Attachments

• prob.png
    prob.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi reder! Welcome to PF! :smile:

reder said:
I understand that by giving us the clue of rotational equilibrium, it means net T has to be 0.

You're right there!

The thing that confuses me is the force at point B, will it cause counterwise torque or no torque?
Think about a situation of such a hinged block, and you applying adequate force to it at the lower end(B). Would it rotate? If yes, which way?

but is the moment arm or lever arm going to be .04m too?
By definition, torque about a point is the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance between the line of action of force and the point. What does that tell you about the lever arm length? :wink:

Think about a situation of such a hinged block, and you applying adequate force to it at the lower end(B). Would it rotate? If yes, which way?
My guess would be, it would rotate counterclockwise.

By definition, torque about a point is the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance between the line of action of force and the point. What does that tell you about the lever arm length? :wink:[/QUOTE]
So I can just extend the line of action of force at point D and this in turn would make it the lever arm .04m.

So if I am taking clockwise as negative torque and counterclockwise as positive torque... - -.04(10N) + (5N) (.02) + (F) (.04)= 0
.4 = .1+ .04F
F = 7.5N...(Is my reasoning correct)...
Also thanks for a quick reply...

reder said:
My guess would be, it would rotate counterclockwise.

Right-o!

So if I am taking clockwise as negative torque and counterclockwise as positive torque... - -.04(10N) + (5N) (.02) + (F) (.04)= 0
.4 = .1+ .04F
F = 7.5N...(Is my reasoning correct)...

Absolutely.

Thx infinitum for the help...

1. What is rotational equilibrium?

Rotational equilibrium occurs when an object is not rotating or is rotating at a constant speed. This means that the net torque acting on the object is equal to zero.

2. How do you find the force at point B and D in rotational equilibrium?

To find the force at point B and D, you must first calculate the net torque acting on the object. Then, using the equation τ = rFsinθ, you can solve for the force at point B and D.

3. What is the significance of point B and D in rotational equilibrium?

Point B and D are important points in rotational equilibrium because they are points at which the forces are balanced and the object is not rotating. This helps to determine the overall stability of the object.

4. What factors affect rotational equilibrium?

The factors that affect rotational equilibrium include the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the object, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied.

5. How is rotational equilibrium used in real-world applications?

Rotational equilibrium is used in various real-world applications, such as balancing objects on a seesaw or determining the stability of structures like bridges and buildings. It is also important in understanding the movement and behavior of objects in space.