1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque problem

Tags:
  1. Oct 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When a wood shelf of mass 7.7 kg is fastened inside a slot in a vertical support as shown in (Figure 1) , the support exerts a torque on the shelf. Assume that the slot exerts two vertical forces on the shelf, at points A and B.
    Giancoli7.ch9.p80_1.jpg
    Determine the force exerted on the shelf by the support slot at A.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the sum of the torques has to equal 0 and that the forces at A and CM is downwards, and upwards at B but I can't seem to get the correct answer (the correct answer is -566N)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2016 #2
    What did you get for an answer?

Edit: I didn't get that answer either. But I don't have a lot of confidence in my answer because I know from experience that I make lots of mistakes. :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  4. Oct 30, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I got the "right" answer. Use g=9.8 not 9.81 or 10.

5. Oct 30, 2016 #4
    Thanks @CWatters. Because of your post, I want back and reviewed my work and found my mistake. My mistake was greater than what would be caused by using different gravity values. And yes, 9.8 gives the right answer.

6. Oct 30, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Please post your working. A bit hard to find your mistake otherwise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted