Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque problems-gravity

1. Jul 12, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I was working on a problem dealing with torque, and it was basically a long piece of wood resting on top of two metal poles. (scaffold like), and a worker standing on one end of the wood.

When i was reading the solution, i noticed that gravity was factored in at the center of mass.
    I think this is because I chose the pivot point as the intersection of one of the metal poles and the piece of wood.

My question is: is gravity in torque questions ALWAYS factored in at the center of mass??

Thanks a lot!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hello oneplusone! :smile:
    yes …

the total gravitational force on a body is always through the centre of gravity (that's for all purposes, not just for torque) …

that's the definition of centre of gravity​

we always assume that any apparatus on earth is in a uniform gravitational field,

and in a uniform gravitational field, the centre of gravity and the centre of mass are the same (for fairly obvious reasons) :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook