1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque problems

1. May 25, 2004 #1
    I'm stuck on these problems!

1. Suppose a 90.0-g mass is placed at the 82.0 cm mark of a 120.0 g uniform meterstick. At what mark will the meterstick balance?

For this problem, I did TCCW=TCW. I think the TCW is (90 g)*(9.8 m/s^2)*(32 cm). For TCCW, I am not sure because I do not know where the pivot point is.

2. A 10,000 kg bridge of length 10 m is supported at both ends. If a 2000-kg car is parked on the bridge 3.0 m from the left support, what are the supporting forces at the left and right ends?

I drew a diagram for this problem, but I do not know how to calculate the supporting forces.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2004 #2
    set up the momentum balance about the zero mark of the meterstick:
    210 (=90+120)*9.8 being the reaction force at the pivotpoint
    x = the distance of the pivot point from the zero mark
    work out x and you have the answer for question 1.
  4. May 26, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

bridge problem

Identify all the forces acting on the bridge: its weight, the weight of the car, the left supporting force, and the right supporting force. Draw these on your diagram.

Now apply the conditions for equilibrium:
    (1) The forces must balance
    (2) The torques about any point must balance

Give it a shot.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?