Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque produced in lever setup

1. May 7, 2017 #1
    Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've done much resolving forces stuff, and I'm struggling to make sure what I'm doing is right. I have a setup like below, and I want to find the torque around point D due to the force acting at point A.

I've had a couple attempts but I feel like I'm just guessing and I'm not sure if I'm correct.
    I know the force acting at A produces a torque at the fulcrum of F*(alpha/2)*sin(theta) but is this the force that's also seen in the BC member? From what I understand, if I can find the force acting in the BC member, it should be easy to find the torque around point D.

Any help would be good! Thanks
    SWs7w.png

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is a question about the problem: is AB fixed on the fulcrum (just pivot), or can it also slide up and down in relation to the fulcrum? It has been a little while for me, as well.

4. May 7, 2017 #3
    Hi,

It's fixed on the pivot. Apologies for the lack of detail!

5. May 7, 2017 #4
    For anyone playing along, I've got a solution.
    The force in BC is the reaction force from F in a simple lever setup.
    Then this is the force acting at the top of member CD which creates the torque.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted