Solve Torque Q1: Find Tension & F in Picture Frame

• Thread starter poloboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the problem involves a uniform picture frame, weighing 10N and supported by a cable on the right side at a 50 degree angle with the horizontal direction. To hold the frame in this position, a horizontal force F is required. To solve this problem, you can use torque equations and choose the upper right point as the pivot.
poloboy
1. A uniform picture frame weighing 10N is supported. The cable on the right side makes an angle of 50 with the horizontal direction. Find the tension in the cords and the magnitude of the horizontal force F required to hold the frame in the position

Homework Equations

imagine a rectangular box, the length is 0.15m and width 0.3m there is a cord hanging on straight up from the top left of the box and a cord hanging on the top right of the box at a 50 degree angle. Also there is a force F pointint to the left from the bottom right corner

The Attempt at a Solution

i believe this question is a torque question, but I'm not 100% sure how to start solving. i broke down the equation into X-component and Y-component
X-comp: fcos50 - F =0
Y-comp: fsin50 + f(left) = 10

i'm kinda stuck after this point
i know that torque = Fd but i don't know where my pivot point should be and so on can anyone help. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can choose any point for the torque pivot... It's best to choose a point that makes your equations simple...

I recommend the upper right point, because then you avoid having the trig stuff in your equation.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the known values and variables. The known values are the weight of the frame (10N) and the angle of the cable (50 degrees). The variables are the tension in the cords (f) and the horizontal force (F).

To solve for the tension in the cords, we can use the Y-component equation you have already written: fsin50 + f(left) = 10. We can simplify this by factoring out f: f(sin50 + 1) = 10. Dividing both sides by (sin50 + 1), we get f = 10/(sin50 + 1). This gives us the tension in the cords, which we can calculate to be approximately 6.33N.

To solve for the magnitude of the horizontal force, we can use the X-component equation: fcos50 - F = 0. Again, we can simplify this by factoring out f: f(cos50) - F = 0. Plugging in the value we calculated for f, we get (6.33N)(cos50) - F = 0. Solving for F, we get F = (6.33N)(cos50) = approximately 4.85N.

As for the pivot point, we can choose any point along the frame where the forces are acting. In this case, since both the tension in the cords and the horizontal force are acting at the top right corner of the frame, we can choose that as our pivot point. This means that the torque equation would be: T = Fd, where T is the torque, F is the force (4.85N), and d is the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is acting (in this case, the distance is the width of the frame, 0.3m). We can use this equation to calculate the torque acting on the frame, which is approximately 1.45Nm.

In summary, the tension in the cords is 6.33N, the horizontal force required to hold the frame in place is 4.85N, and the torque acting on the frame is 1.45Nm.

1. What is torque and how is it related to tension and force in a picture frame?

Torque is the rotational equivalent of force, and it measures the tendency of a force to rotate an object around an axis. In the case of a picture frame, the tension and force exerted by the strings or wires holding up the frame create a torque that keeps the frame in place.

2. How do you calculate torque in a picture frame?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force applied and the distance from the pivot point, or axis of rotation. In a picture frame, you can calculate torque by multiplying the tension in the strings or wires by the distance from the pivot point to where the strings or wires are attached.

3. How do you find the tension in the strings or wires of a picture frame?

To find the tension, you can use the equation T = (F x L)/r, where T is the tension, F is the force applied, L is the distance from the pivot point to where the force is applied, and r is the distance from the pivot point to where the strings or wires are attached. Alternatively, you can use a force sensor or a spring scale to directly measure the tension.

4. What factors can affect the tension and force in a picture frame?

The tension and force in a picture frame can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the frame and the object being hung, the type and strength of the strings or wires, the distance between the strings or wires, and the angle at which the strings or wires are attached to the frame.

5. How can torque be used to keep a picture frame stable?

By calculating and adjusting the tension and force in the strings or wires, you can create a balanced torque that keeps the picture frame stable and prevents it from rotating around the pivot point. This is why it is important to evenly distribute the weight of the frame and the object being hung, and to choose strong and properly positioned strings or wires.