Exploring the Relationship Between Torque and Body Stability in Ergonomics

• Thread starter pennywise1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, torque is a turning moment that is affected by the distance and force applied. It can be calculated using a mathematical formula and is related to the angular momentum of a body. Torque is necessary for equilibrium, but not sufficient. It plays a role in body stability and ergonomics by influencing the joints in the human body and can be affected by the center of mass and base of support.
pennywise1234
1. The problem statement
what role does torque play in body stability and ergonomics ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what level of explanation you want... Most simply, torque is a turning moment. The idea of torque is that if you apply a force at a greater distance, you get a bigger rotation - it would be easier to swing a cat by its tail than its middle (if you wished to swing cats), and it requires less effort to open a door from the edge, rather than at the pivot.

If you want a mathematical definition:

$$ \tau_{Total} = \sum_{i} \tau_{i} = \sum_{i} \vec{r_{i}} \times \vec{F_{i}} $$

Where ##\tau_{Total}## is the total torque on the body, and is the sum of a number of torques, ##\tau_{i} = \vec{r_{i}} \times \vec{F_{i}}## where, ##\vec{r_{i}}## is the position vector, and ##\vec{F_{i}}## is the force.

The angular momentum of a body is related to the torque applied:

$$ \vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p} $$

$$ \frac{d\vec{L}}{dt} = \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt} \times \vec{p} + \vec{r} \times \frac{d\vec{p}}{dt} $$

So

$$ \frac{d\vec{L}}{dt} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F} $$

i.e -if we don't have any torque, then the angular momentum must be constant in time. The body cannot be spinning up or spinning down - in cannot be changing its motion in any rotational sense. So in this way, we see that a necessary (but not sufficient! - e.g we also have to balance forces) condition for equilibrium is that the total torques on a body must be zero...

Does that help at all?

Penny... have a think about the joints in the human body. I think all (?) Involve rotation.

The question is more geared towards when trying to improve stability or how do stability and torque correlate. I was thinking it had to do with Centre of mass or base of support. I have no idea what could be said for ergonomics

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque different from force?

Force is the push or pull on an object, while torque is the rotational force that causes an object to turn or spin. Torque is dependent on both the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the distance between the force and the axis of rotation.

3. What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance, where force is measured in newtons (N) and distance is measured in meters (m). In other words, torque is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How does torque affect rotational motion?

Torque is directly proportional to the rotational acceleration of an object. This means that the greater the torque applied, the faster the object will rotate. Additionally, torque also affects the stability of an object's rotational motion and can cause it to rotate or change direction.

5. What factors can affect torque?

The factors that can affect torque include the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the distance between the force and the axis of rotation, and the mass and distribution of the object being rotated. Other factors such as friction and air resistance can also play a role in the amount of torque generated.