1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque Question

1. Jan 14, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Torque Question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See diagram for problem

additional instructions
    For each of the three forces shown, compute the moment (N m, + CCW) about point A. Assume 3 SF for all numbers.

I am trying to solve for the moment(torque) of F3

2. Relevant equations

Force * (Distance between force and point A) * sine(theta)??

3. The attempt at a solution

too many to name.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2008 #2

That's it! Problem over right there. Tounet = F.r.sinX. Add the torques seperately, one by one.
  4. Jan 15, 2008 #3
    For force 3, the r value is supposed to be the direct line between it and the point of pivot right? Do I use the hypotenuse of the triangle for the r value? Also what angle do I use (arctan (3 / 4)??), and am I supposed to somehow break up the force into x and y components? I've tried some of this stuff, but none of it seemed to work. Thanks for your time.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  5. Jan 15, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

When using [itex]r F \sin\theta[/itex], the angle is the angle between the position vector and the force vector.
    You can always break a force into its components and then find the torque for each component and add them. (That would be much quicker, especially if you realize that [itex]r \sin\theta[/itex] is the perpendicular distance to the line of the force.)
  6. Jan 15, 2008 #5
    Thanks guys.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?