1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque = r x F

1. Feb 28, 2007 #1
    I saw in my reference book that T=r * F , and T=F * r is unacceptable. Why is the latter unacceptable?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2007 #2
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  4. Feb 28, 2007 #3
    Also, the book probably doesnt want you to confuse units of torque (meter*newtons) and units of energy (newton*meters). Get in the habit of putting the distance first, as it will help you with the cross products
  5. Feb 28, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Huh? The (standard) unit of torque is the Newton-metre; I've never heard of it being called a metre-Newton! Besides, clearly the units Newton and metre commute.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  6. Feb 28, 2007 #5
    If the unit of torque is the newton-meter, that implies that its the same as a joule. By using the term "meter-newton", you can easily differentiate between torque and energy. Even though you just informed me that its not technically SI, it makes more sense to me and probably to someone just starting out
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?