What Torque is Needed to Rotate a Solid Bored Ball?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the torque required to rotate a ball that is solid with a mass of M kg and is bored through about its axis. The moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder is needed, which can be found using the equation I = 1/2m (r_i^2 + r_0^2). The relationship between torque, moment of inertia, and angular acceleration is also mentioned, with the equation T = I * alpha. It is suggested to also find the moment of inertia of the top and bottom parts of the ball and add it to the cylinder. Some clarification is needed on the specifics of the ball's structure.
sushilshinge
I want to calculate the torque required to rotate a ball.
1. Ball is solid having mass M kg.
2. Ball is bored through about its axis.
3. Ball is rotating about the axis XX

Please see attached file.

Attachments

• Ball.bmp
    273.8 KB · Views: 552
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You must find the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder which is,
[tex]I=1/2 m ( r_i^2 + r_0^2) [/tex]
r_i and the r_0 are radial distances from centre.

Than the relationship between torque, moment of intertia and angular acceleration, which is,
[tex]T=I \alpha [/tex]

Now looking at the picture I am not sure if ur including those caps on the top and bottom. In which case you must find their moment of intertia and add it to the cylinder

Right side view is a section of a ball. The hatching part is a solid part of ball.When you will cut the ball in left view in middle then by looking left side it will look like in right view.

Not sure I completely understand what your saying. Are the equations what you are after? Just find the moment of inertia of the top and bottom parts, if indeed I am understanding you correctly

To calculate the torque required to rotate a ball, we first need to understand the concept of torque. Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

In this scenario, the ball is solid with a mass of M kg and is rotating about the axis XX. Since the ball is bored through about its axis, we can assume that the axis of rotation is passing through the center of the ball. This means that the distance from the axis of rotation to any point on the ball is equal to the radius of the ball.

To calculate the torque, we need to know the force applied to the ball. This force can be calculated using Newton's Second Law, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). Since the ball is rotating at a constant speed, the acceleration is zero, therefore the force applied is also zero.

Without any external force, the ball will not rotate. Therefore, we can conclude that the torque required to rotate the ball is also zero. This is because torque is directly proportional to force and since there is no force, there is no torque.

In summary, the torque required to rotate a ball depends on the force applied to the ball, which in this case is zero. Therefore, the torque required to rotate the ball is also zero.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate about an axis. It is usually represented by the symbol "τ" and is measured in units of Newton-meters (N·m).

How is torque related to rotation?

Torque is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of an object. This means that the greater the torque applied to an object, the faster it will rotate.

What factors affect the torque required to rotate a ball?

The torque required to rotate a ball depends on several factors, including the mass of the ball, the radius of the ball, and the angular acceleration desired. Additionally, the surface of the ball and the surrounding environment can also affect the torque required.

How can the torque required to rotate a ball be calculated?

The torque required to rotate a ball can be calculated using the equation τ=Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia of the ball, and α is the angular acceleration. The moment of inertia can be calculated using the mass and radius of the ball.

How can torque be applied to rotate a ball?

Torque can be applied to rotate a ball using a variety of methods, such as applying a force to the ball at a distance from its center of mass, using a lever or pulley system, or using a motor or engine. The direction and magnitude of the torque will determine the direction and speed of the ball's rotation.