What Is the Torque Required by a Servo Motor?

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the torque required for a servo to rotate a system around a central axis. The individual was considering using a free body diagram but realized that the forces were on the Z axis and would not create a moment around the center axis of the servo. They then discussed using T=Ia with a desired alpha, but questioned the assumption that any servo could rotate the system. The expert advised measuring the moment of inertia and friction in the setup and explained that the system doesn't need to be perfectly balanced as long as it is close. They also discussed the axis of rotation and whether or not the parallel axis theorem would be needed. In the end, the expert suggested using T=Ia with the desired speed to
_Bd_
Hi, I am working on a project that needs some rotation around a central axis. I was looking over at some Servos but I don't know how to calculate the torque required by the servo.

I was thinking of doing a simple free body diagram, but as I was drawing it I realized the forces are on the Z axis (assuming an X-Y plane), and therefore do not create a moment around the center axis of the servo, only moments I can think of are parallel to the shaft of the servo.

Heres a very crude image of what I'm trying to do.

FBD.png

as mentioned, I tried to do a FBD but I couldn't really figure anything out of it. I am thinking it has to do only with the weight applied over the shaft and therefore it doesn't matter how close/far its from the central axis? just the amount pressing would generate more friction or something along those lines, but I'm kind of confused about this.I was thinking of using only T=Ia, (I for disk = 1/2 mr^2) and using m = m_disk + m_beam + m_bigdisk

but still, I don't knwo what alpha is (angular acceleration), I mean, I could probably use any servo's listed Torque and just get alpha from there, but that would be making the assumption that any servo, regardless of its torque output would be able to rotate that? (the idea doesn't make sense)

- Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't knwo what alpha is (angular acceleration), I mean, I could probably use any servo's listed Torque and just get alpha from there, but that would be making the assumption that any servo, regardless of its torque output would be able to rotate that? (the idea doesn't make sense)
No - that makes perfect sense for your assumptions.

You are implicitly assuming that all the rotating components are perfectly balanced and that there is zero friction.
Under those conditions, absolutely any force or torque will produce some acceleration, however small.

You should measure the moment of inertia and the friction in your setup.
You can also expect your friction to increase change the speed of the rotations - ultimately getting higher so the device will reach a constant angular speed.

Thank you for the reply Simon,

Ok, so the moment of inertia would just be the sum of inertias of each component? (2 disks with I=1/2 mr^2) + (beam with I=1/12 mr^2) ? and I assume use the parallel axis theorem to move all inertias down to the bottom disk? (+1/2 md^2)and what would I do with those?, should I just plug those into the formula T= Ia ? (and plug in a desired alpha?).

What about if its not perfectly balanced, I mean this is going to be assembled by me, so even though I'll try to center it as much as possible, let's assume its not perfectly balanced, but close to, I know that would make the rotation not perfect around an axis, it would have certain pitch to the rotation, but will it drastically affect the torque required?

It doesn't matter if its not perfectly balanced as long as its not like completely horrid

_Bd_ said:
Thank you for the reply Simon,

Ok, so the moment of inertia would just be the sum of inertias of each component? (2 disks with I=1/2 mr^2) + (beam with I=1/12 mr^2) ? and I assume use the parallel axis theorem to move all inertias down to the bottom disk? (+1/2 md^2)
... per your diagram, what is the axis of rotation? Do the disks not turn on the same axle through their centers?

and what would I do with those?, should I just plug those into the formula T= Ia ? (and plug in a desired alpha?).
Pretty much.

What about if its not perfectly balanced, I mean this is going to be assembled by me, so even though I'll try to center it as much as possible, let's assume its not perfectly balanced, but close to, I know that would make the rotation not perfect around an axis, it would have certain pitch to the rotation, but will it drastically affect the torque required?

It doesn't matter if its not perfectly balanced as long as its not like completely horrid
If it is not perfectly balanced you'll have a bit of a wobble - which will affect losses.
Losses in the system is why real life systems have a minimum torque to get them going and another minimum torque to keep moving.
If you have a lot of information you can model it - i.e. manufacturers should be able to tell you about the friction in their bearings. But, usually, this is something you measure on the finished product.

Simon Bridge said:
... per your diagram, what is the axis of rotation? Do the disks not turn on the same axle through their centers?

The axis of rotation is pretty much the center of the bottom disk (and its supposed to be aligned with the beam and the top disk).

Simon Bridge said:
Pretty much.

Ok, so then I'll start making specs on what alpha I want for this system.

Thank you again, you've been a lot of help

The axis of rotation is pretty much the center of the bottom disk (and its supposed to be aligned with the beam and the top disk).
Do you mean that the axis of rotation is through the center of all the disks, and perpendicular to the circular faces of the disks?

If so, then you don't need the parallel axis theorem.
All the rotation axes go through the centers of mass.

But if you mean that the axis of rotation goes through the bottom disk horizontally - then you will need the parallel axis theorem.

no no, axis of rotation goes normal (orthogonal) to the face of the disk, it is the shaft of the servo at the bottom that makes the whole thing rotate.

So just T=aI, where I is the sum of moments and a is the desired speed. . .hopefully this will get me going

That's correct - except a is the desired angular acceleration.

What is torque required by motor?

Torque required by motor is the amount of rotational force needed to operate a motor. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft). This torque is necessary for the motor to overcome any resistance and perform its intended function.

How is torque required by motor calculated?

Torque required by motor is calculated by multiplying the force required to rotate the motor by the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is: Torque = Force x Distance.

What factors influence the torque required by motor?

The torque required by motor is influenced by several factors, including the weight of the object being moved, the distance the object needs to be moved, the speed at which it needs to be moved, and the efficiency of the motor. Additionally, external factors such as friction and air resistance can also affect the torque required.

How do you determine the appropriate torque required for a motor?

The appropriate torque required for a motor is determined by considering the specific application and the factors that influence the torque. This may involve analyzing the weight, distance, and speed requirements, as well as selecting a motor with sufficient power and efficiency to meet the demands of the application.

What happens if the torque required by motor is too low?

If the torque required by motor is too low, the motor may not be able to perform its intended function. It may struggle to move the object or may not be able to overcome any resistance. This can result in the motor overheating and potentially causing damage to the motor and the equipment it is powering.