Torque-RequiredStair-Climbing Device

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device
In summary, the individual is seeking advice and input on designing a stair-climbing device that can handle a weight of 500 lbs. The device will use a 3-wheel climbing design and needs to be motorized. They are looking for information on how much torque and what size motor will be needed, as well as potential power sources. The individual has limited design experience and is seeking recommendations for motors and power sources. They have found some potential options but are unsure about the specifications and whether a smaller motor can be used without requiring a complex gear box. They are also considering battery size and potential energy change.
Saladsamurai
I am trying to figure out how to design a stair-climbing device similar to a hand-cart that climbs stairs.

I know that the loading will be ~500 lb.

It uses a 3-wheel climbing design design like http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200381541_200381541" except motorized.

I am trying to figure out how much torque I will need at the output of the gear box. I am assuming that this is simply a function of the distance from the climbing-wheel to the loading.

I also would like to figure out what size motor would work in that it should be relatively small and run off of a reasonably small portable power source.

I have no real design experience, so I was hoping for some input/advice.

What kind of small portable motors are out there and where can I see their specs?

What kind of power sources are out there?If my questions are not that clear, let me know and I will try to elaborate.

Thanks,
Casey

EDIT to help put this into better perspective, the motor is to power a 3-wheeled design like the one shown above, but it is to be used on an Ambulance Gurney (stretcher) to assist in moving 'larger' people up and down stairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Anyone know of any good sites for motors of this sort? Google is ok, but I would like some recommended sites.

Searching "motors" is a little painstaking.

EDIT: Ok, I am http://www.baldor.com/products/product.asp?1=1&page=1&orderBy=HpDecimal&product=DC+Motors&family=General+Purpose|vw_DCMotors_GeneralPurpose" right now.

Can someone explain what armature vs field voltage? Do I need to consider these?

I googled around and found that armature voltage is the occurs on the coils, but I am not sure why I need to know this :redface:

Any thoughts on motors/power sources? I am looking at something like http://www.baldor.com/products/deta...l+Purpose|vw_DCMotors_GeneralPurpose&hp=2.00", but I am not sure if there is a lightweight portable rechargeable power source to go with.

I figured that the torque I need to deliver is ~4000 lb-in

Can I go with a smaller motor without getting to crazy with the gear box? Is 2 HP at 2500 rpm considered a "big" motor.

I know this is a broad question that is design particular, but I am in need of some help/advice as a strarting point/

Thanks

You'll be able to find a motor that fits your specifications on www.globalspec.com.

As for size of the motor and how much power will be required, I would look into how high you're looking to lift the patient/gurney. By doing this, you can calculate the required potential energy change which can give you an idea on battery sizing.

Also I have to ask- why the heck would you want to carry a patient up stairs on a gurney? What about elevators?

Last edited:

1. What is a Torque-Required Stair-Climbing Device?

A Torque-Required Stair-Climbing Device is a mechanical device designed to assist individuals with climbing stairs by reducing the amount of torque or force required to lift the body weight. It typically consists of a handle or grip to hold onto and a set of wheels or tracks to roll on the stairs.

2. How does a Torque-Required Stair-Climbing Device work?

The device works by using a gear or lever system to amplify the force applied by the user, making it easier to climb stairs. As the user pushes or pulls on the handle, the device uses this force to rotate the gears or levers, creating a larger force to lift the body weight.

3. Who can benefit from using a Torque-Required Stair-Climbing Device?

A Torque-Required Stair-Climbing Device can be beneficial for individuals with mobility impairments, injuries, or disabilities that make it difficult to climb stairs on their own. It can also be useful for individuals who need to transport heavy objects up and down stairs.

4. Are there different types of Torque-Required Stair-Climbing Devices?

Yes, there are various types of Torque-Required Stair-Climbing Devices, including manual and electric versions. Manual devices require the user to push or pull on the handle, while electric devices use a motor to power the gears and assist with climbing. There are also different designs, such as upright or seated devices, to accommodate different needs.

5. Is a Torque-Required Stair-Climbing Device safe to use?

Yes, as long as the device is used properly, it is safe to use. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and any safety guidelines provided. It is also recommended to have someone assist or supervise the user, especially when using the device for the first time.