Torque required to slow down an object

• Thread starter Smartguy94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary: N*m. In summary, the angular momentum of the figure skater spinning at 3.32 revolutions per second is 9.4 kg*m^2/s. The torque required to slow her to a stop in 4.57 s is -2.06 N*m.
Smartguy94

Homework Statement

What is the angular momentum of a figure skater spinning (with arms in close to her body) at 3.32 revolutions per second, assuming her to be a uniform cylinder with a height of 1.41 m, a radius of 13.4 cm, and a mass of 50.4 kg.

How much torque is required to slow her to a stop in 4.57 s, assuming she does not move her arms?

Homework Equations

I= (M x R^2) /2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first one, the angular momentum

since I= (M x R^2) /2
and w = 3.32*2∏

L = Iw
9.4 kg*m^2/s

ang acc is total change in ang vel divided by total time for uniform angular acceleration

α= w/4.57
torque = Iα
torque = 2.065N*m

but its wrong

anyone can help pls? thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question! To calculate the angular momentum of the figure skater, we can use the formula L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. In this case, we can calculate the moment of inertia of the figure skater using the formula I = (MR^2)/2, where M is the mass and R is the radius. Plugging in the given values, we get I = (50.4 kg x (0.134 m)^2)/2 = 0.450 kg*m^2.

Next, we can calculate the angular velocity using the formula ω = 2πf, where f is the frequency in revolutions per second. In this case, ω = 2π(3.32 rev/s) = 20.9 rad/s.

Plugging these values into the formula for angular momentum, we get L = (0.450 kg*m^2)(20.9 rad/s) = 9.4 kg*m^2/s. This matches your calculation, so it looks like you got that part right!

To calculate the torque required to slow the figure skater to a stop, we can use the formula τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. In this case, we know that the final angular velocity is 0 rad/s, and the initial angular velocity is 20.9 rad/s. We also know that the time is 4.57 s.

To find the angular acceleration, we can use the formula α = (ωf - ωi)/t, where ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time. Plugging in the values, we get α = (0 - 20.9 rad/s)/4.57 s = -4.58 rad/s^2.

Now, we can plug this value of α into the formula for torque to get τ = (0.450 kg*m^2)(-4.58 rad/s^2) = -2.06 N*m. It looks like you got the right magnitude of torque, but your answer was positive instead of negative. This is because the torque is acting in the opposite direction of the initial angular velocity, which was positive. So

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque related to slowing down an object?

To slow down an object, torque must be applied in the opposite direction of its motion. This torque acts to decelerate the object and eventually bring it to a stop.

3. How is the torque required to slow down an object calculated?

The torque required to slow down an object can be calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotation) by the angular acceleration (change in angular velocity over time) of the object.

4. What factors affect the torque required to slow down an object?

The main factor that affects the torque required to slow down an object is its moment of inertia. A larger moment of inertia means more torque is needed to slow down the object. Other factors that may affect torque include the object's mass, shape, and surface friction.

5. Is there a maximum torque that can be applied to slow down an object?

Yes, there is a maximum torque that can be applied to slow down an object. This is known as the breaking torque and is the point at which the object will begin to break apart due to the excessive force being applied to it.