Torque Requirement for 25mm dia Shaft 600mm Length w/ Gear

• Thread starter Analysis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, Prakash is seeking clarification on the torque requirement for a shaft arrangement with a gear attached to one end and an externally applied load. He is questioning his approach of using the reaction force at each bearing end multiplied by the bearing mean radius and the coefficient of friction. He also asks about the starting torque needed for an induction motor or servo drive motor, and if the gear PCD has any influence on the torque. He clarifies that his posts are not trying to get others to do his work, but rather seeking feedback to enhance his theoretical knowledge.
Analysis
Dear all,

I need clarification regarding torque requirement in the following arrangement.
Imagine a shaft 25mm diameter 600mm length simply supported and one end
gear is attached to drive the shaft.
Load is externally applied via lever arm and different material(polymer) same
diameter is in contact.
My query is what is the torque required to drive this shaft arrangement.
Load,shaft geometries,speed are the known values.

My approach is assumed that at static condition load is applied over shaft, finding
the reaction force at each bearing end and from this force multiplied by bearing
mean radius with co efficient of friction of bearing which is normally(0.0025max).

Is the approach is correct?

1)My suspect is when applying force to the bearing, friction coefficient will

increase how to change of friction is accommodated?
2)Rollers in contact with pressure to overcome frictional resistance will be less

only i.e. shaft in contact assume that 100 N is acting,to overcome this force we

will multiply with friction coefficient of two materials say 0.3 and the calculation is

100 x 0.30=30N is enough to overcome the force of 100 N
3)To find reaction force at the ends can i use of 30N instead of 100N?

4)Suppose reaction force will changes in each end,say one end is 50 N and
another end is 35N can i take higher value?

5)Above is that running torque what will the empirically starting torque to select
induction motor or servo drive motor specification.can i take say 1.5 times
running torque for both? Can i use T=IxAlpha approach?

6)In this gear is going to drive the shaft gear PCD has any influences?bcoz gear
radius is used to drive the shaft torque?

Thanks in advance
Prakash

(Since image is not uploading i am narrating the problem)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello, Prakash. You continue to try to get someone else to do your work, don't you? I have to say, I am amazed at your persistence!

Dr.D said:
Hello, Prakash. You continue to try to get someone else to do your work, don't you? I have to say, I am amazed at your persistence!

Dearsirs,
Sorry in the case of wrong ,whatever my clarifications /doubts only posting i am not the person getting my work done thro others.Also my posts are narrating the approaches of my work and seeking others comments that's all.This is to enhance my theoretical knowledge.From ur point of view what are the questions can we post?

From the above In the torque requirement querey my suspect is while rotating we can easily overcome the load applied by top roller,comparitevely taking total load used to finding reactions from that am calculating the torque...?

Thanks for ur comment

Prakash

What is torque requirement?

Torque requirement refers to the amount of twisting force needed to rotate an object, such as a 25mm diameter shaft with a gear, around its axis. It is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

How is torque requirement calculated?

The torque requirement for a 25mm diameter shaft with a gear can be calculated using the formula: Torque = Force x Distance, where force is the amount of load or resistance acting on the shaft and distance is the length of the shaft. The exact calculation may vary depending on the specific gear and application.

What factors affect torque requirement?

The torque requirement for a 25mm diameter shaft with a gear can be influenced by several factors, including the type and size of the gear, the weight of the load being moved, and the speed at which the shaft needs to rotate. Friction, temperature, and other environmental factors may also play a role.

Why is torque requirement important?

Understanding the torque requirement for a 25mm diameter shaft with a gear is important for ensuring that the shaft is able to withstand the necessary load and function properly. It can also help in selecting the appropriate motor or power source to drive the shaft.

How can torque requirement be measured or tested?

Torque requirement can be measured using a torque wrench or torque meter. These tools can be used to apply and measure the amount of twisting force needed to rotate the shaft. Additionally, computer simulations and mathematical calculations can also be used to estimate torque requirement.