Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque sensing

1. Jan 14, 2005 #1
    I'd like to know if anyone here knows of anything that can sense the torque dynamically across a geared system (such as a transmission); basically, whether it is in a "positive" direction, a "negative" direction or zero. (The magnitude is not important, though it would be useful to know when it is approaching zero.) Most torque gauges and meters are static devices, but I'd like to know of one that works in a situation where the system is running.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A torque sensor then?

2 seconds of google gives some Honeywell gauges at:

They're just normal strain gauges but adapted for rotary use.

Any help?
  4. Jan 15, 2005 #3
    In a word, yes! Thanks

5. Jan 15, 2005 #4

Science Advisor

6. Jan 15, 2005 #5
    If there is any gearing (other than 1:1) between the input and output shafts, or if the input and output shafts are not on the same axis, then you will also be able to sense the direction (and magnitude) of the transmitted torque by means of gauges on the non rotating elements (typically the gearbox mountings).
  7. Jan 18, 2005 #6
    Again, thanks!

Very interesting! I guess, in a way, that should have been somewhat apparent. After all, we can feel the the zeroing out of the torque across an automobile (manual) transmission through the gearshift lever (It becomes loose and movable). I assume therefore, that simply by adapting a strain gauge platform to go, for example. between a transmission and whatever follows, I'd get an indication of the magnitude and direction of the torque?

I'm not sure though - - Why would a direct through, 1:1 case be a limiting condition? As I recall, the zeroing of the torque can also be detected in "top" gear, which is direct and 1:1. (I haven't actually driven a manual for quite a while.)

Also, can I assume that the best mounting would be that which would best indicate an in-line torsion between the two housings?

And again, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?