1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque/Shear Force/Bending Moment HELP NEEDED!

1. Apr 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A retracting nose wheel assembly is raised by the application of a Torque T applied to link BC through a shaft at B. The wheel and arm AO have a combined mass of 50kg with a centre of mass at G. Find the value of T necessary to lift the wheel when D is directly under B at which position angle theta is 30 degrees.

2. Relevant equations

Nil

3. The attempt at a solution

Having difficulties getting started. Would like some assistance to get started. Feeling very lost at the moment.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2009 #2

minger

Science Advisor

Well, the torque applied to arm BC is going to cause a force tangent to the arm at C, with a magnitude of torque*length_arm. A component of that force will travel along arm CD. You now have a force at point D, with a vector pointing towards C.

From here, you break 'that' force into components, one is acting radially AG, one is acting tangentially. That force*length_AD must be greater than the torque that the masses create around point A.

If it's me, I first see what force at D is needed to overcome the mass. Then I see what force along arm CD is needed to get that particular component. Then backwards again through BC.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook