Find the Tension: 2-m Rod with .6kg Mass and 2kg Suspended Mass

In summary: The effect of the added mass on each string is that the tension is greater on the string with more weight.
catenn
A 2-m long uniform rod AB is suspended horizontal by two vertical strings attached to the ends A and B. The rod has a mass of .6kg. A mass of 2kg suspended from the rod .8m from the end A. Determine the Tension in each string.

Hi, I have a physics worksheet I am trying to work on. This has confused me, I'm unsure of what to put inside of the equation without any angles and two different strings. I have labeled A T1 and B T2 and I know T1>T2. Also Torque must = 0 for the system to be in equilibrium so I make an equation = to T0 but if anyone could help with what to put into the equation I need some help. Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
What to put in the equation? Well, torques, for example. :smile: If you know the definition of a torque, there shouldn't be any problems.

Right, but which masses? Is it something like Torque0 = T1(2.6)(.8) - T2(1)(.6)? Are they subtracted or added?

catenn said:
Right, but which masses? Is it something like Torque0 = T1(2.6)(.8) - T2(1)(.6)? Are they subtracted or added?

You can start by calculating setting the torque with respect to point A (or B) equal to zero. If the torque 'rotates' clockwise, choose a positive sign, and if it 'rotates' counter clockwise, choose a negative sign.

Its not rotating either way, the whole beam is in equilibrium. The two strings are holding it up and I need their tensions.

catenn said:
Its not rotating either way, the whole beam is in equilibrium. The two strings are holding it up and I need their tensions.

I know it's not rotating, I didn't mean that literarely. I was talking about the direction of the torque.

catenn said:
What are the tensions notwithstanding the 2 kg mass? What does the 2 kg mass add to the downward force of each end of the bar? How does this influence each tension?

It would cause a downward counter clockwise motion that is positive. The tension is greater for the string on A than B w/ more weight. The weights need to be converted to Newtons and multiplied by 9.81 for gravity.

catenn said:
It would cause a downward counter clockwise motion that is positive. The tension is greater for the string on A than B w/ more weight. The weights need to be converted to Newtons and multiplied by 9.81 for gravity.
What is the effect of the added mass on each string?

As said before, use the equations of equilibrium. How is equilibrium expressed? What must vanish? You can use two torque equations (with respect to points A and B), and use the fact that the sum of the vertical forces must vanish as a check.

1. What is tension and how is it related to the given scenario?

Tension is a force that pulls on an object in opposite directions and is caused by the stretching or compression of a material. In this scenario, tension is the force acting on the rod and suspended mass due to the weight of the masses.

2. How do you calculate tension in this scenario?

To calculate tension, we can use the equation T = (m1 + m2)g, where T is the tension force, m1 is the mass of the rod, m2 is the mass of the suspended mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. How does the length of the rod affect the tension?

The length of the rod does not directly affect the tension in this scenario. However, if the rod is too short, it may not be able to support the weight of the suspended mass and may break.

4. What units are used to measure tension?

Tension is typically measured in units of force such as Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

5. Is tension the only force acting on the rod and suspended mass?

No, in addition to tension, there may be other forces acting on the rod and suspended mass depending on the specific scenario. These forces could include gravity, friction, or air resistance.