What Torque is Needed to Accelerate a Phonograph Album?

In summary, the required torque to accelerate a phonograph album at 3-rad/sec2 is calculated using the equation T=I(alpha), where alpha is the angular acceleration and I is the moment of inertia. For a disc with a mass of 75 g and a diameter of 30 cm rotating at 33.3 rpm, the moment of inertia can be calculated using the equation I=1/2MR^2.
Duely Cack
1.How much torque is required to accelerate a phonograph album (75-g, 30-cm diameter 33.3 rpm) at 3-rad/sec2

2. T=I(alpha)

3. Sorry i have to idea on this one I am completely lost!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \tau = I\alpha [/tex] as you stated.
You are given [tex] \alpha = 3 \theta s^{-1} [/tex]
So just multiply by moment of inertia.

Hint: For a disc it's [tex] I = \frac{1}{2}MR^2 [/tex]

Rake, you are not helping here. The OP should know some of this stuff, or should at least know how to look it up. When you give out too much information you are helping students get their homework finished (you are doing it for them, for free), but you are not helping them learn.

Well the fact that I don't own a physics book and My teacher only gives us equations with variables for numbers and variables for more numbers and only gives examples of when used in real life. i would say that at least that is teaching me something thanks rake it helped me get that problem done on to the next one that was easy b/c of your help

1. What is torque to accelerate?

Torque to accelerate is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around a fixed axis. It is responsible for the rotational motion of an object.

2. How is torque to accelerate calculated?

Torque to accelerate is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is T = F x r, where T is the torque, F is the force, and r is the distance.

3. What is the relationship between torque and acceleration?

Torque and acceleration are directly proportional. This means that the greater the torque applied to an object, the greater the acceleration will be.

4. How does torque to accelerate affect the motion of an object?

Torque to accelerate causes rotational motion of an object. As the torque increases, the rotational speed and angular acceleration of the object also increase.

5. How does mass affect torque to accelerate?

The mass of an object has no direct effect on torque to accelerate. However, the distribution of mass in an object can affect its rotational motion and therefore impact the amount of torque required to accelerate it.