Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque to pounds

1. Dec 7, 2012 #1
    Does anyone know how to convert 2000 ft lbs of torque into linear weight? I have an electric brake capable of holding 2000 lbs of torque. But i dont know how to convert to actual pounds that can hold. It also involves a 100 foot lever( boom). What would the force in pounds be? the brake itself is about 15 inches in diameter.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2012 #2
    It depends on how far from the fulcrum the weight is attached. The closer to the fulcrum, the higher the force you can achieve with the same torque.
    “Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.” Archimedes

4. Dec 8, 2012 #3

K^2

Science Advisor

If I understand you correctly that you need to know how much weight can be supported at the end of a 100 foot boom by 2000 ft lbs, it's 2000 ft lbs / 100ft = 20 lb. If it's some other distance from the pivot, substituted that into the same formula.

Diameter of the brake itself is only relevant in computing the torque. Once you know the torque, it doesn't make a difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook