Torque vs. Moment: What are the Differences?

In summary, the two terms "moment" and "torque" have different meanings depending on the context, and there are different types of moments that are related to point loads and distributed loads.
flatmaster
I was talking with an engineering student and arived that "moment" and "torque" mean basically the same thing. Are there any subdtlties to this definition other than the moment is the SUM of all torques at a point?

This being said, is there any other fundamental concepts that carry disparate names among different diciplines?

Engineering news on Phys.org
flatmaster said:
I was talking with an engineering student and arived that "moment" and "torque" mean basically the same thing. Are there any subdtlties to this definition other than the moment is the SUM of all torques at a point?

Hi flatmaster! :smile:

i] "torque" means specifically moment of a force, but "moment" could mean moment of other things … but when talking about moment of a force, i think physicists use "torque" and "moment" interchangeably

ii] "torque" is sometimes used to describe a pair of equal-and-opposite (but not in-line) forces …

for example, if a brake is applied to one side of a flywheel, the combination of the friction force from the brake and the reaction force from the axle is a pair of forces which cancel out linearly, leaving only a torque ! :wink:

iii] generally, "torque" tends to be used when there is an axle or pivot to be turned around, while "moment" tends to be used in essentially non-rotational situations, such as stress on a beam … as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque" says:
In the context of mechanical engineering, the terms "moment" and "torque" are not necessarily interchangeable; rather, one or the other may be preferred in a specific context. For example, "torque" is usually used to describe a rotational force down a shaft, for example a turning screw-driver, whereas "moment" is more often used to describe a bending force on a beam.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way that it is used in civil and mechanical engineering:Torsion is a specific type of moment. Torsion is simply a moment about the cross-section axis of the object. For example if you have a pipe or an I beam, torsion is a moment about the cross section of the pipe or the cross-section of the beam. Other moments such as bending moments from loading the beam are not called torques.

(I realize you could take a cross-section about any axis of the object, but in general I am talking about objects like a steel beam where the plane of what is considered the cross-section is pretty obvious) It can also be explained as a series of shear forces going all around the cross section in the same direction.

The distinction between bending moments and torsion are made because usually one or the other controls the design and also the building codes will have different formulas and factors of safety for them. For example, a drive shaft is pretty much only torsion while maybe you are designing a beam with a small amount of torsion due to off centered loads. Since the bending moments control the design, you design for that first and then go back and check the torsion strength.

Last edited:
Usually, when you talk about torque it means that the vector for torque is on the object or within it, or that it's a single vector.

Moments are more broad in the sense that they can be placed anywhere. Wherever you want, and especially couples. Also, moments are related in my field (Civil Engineering) towards point loads or distributed loads. Distributed loads being the most common.

Thus, we have a moment diagram =). Mechanical Engineers use the idea to their advantage to make some calculations much more simple. Such as, when two forces intersect. And the force vectors usually intersect outside of the car. So we have a moment existing not on the object, but probably way outside of the object.

(example frames).

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between torque and moment?

Both torque and moment are measures of the rotational force applied to an object. However, torque specifically refers to the rotational force that causes an object to rotate around an axis, while moment refers to the tendency of an object to rotate around an axis.

2. How are torque and moment calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. Moment, on the other hand, is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What are the units of measurement for torque and moment?

The SI unit for torque is Newton-meters (Nm), while the SI unit for moment is also Newton-meters (Nm). However, moment can also be measured in pound-feet (lb-ft) or pound-inches (lb-in).

4. How are torque and moment used in real-world applications?

Torque is commonly used in engineering and physics to calculate the force required to move or rotate an object. It is also used in machinery, such as engines and motors, to produce rotational motion. Moment is often used in structural engineering to determine the stability and strength of structures.

5. Are torque and moment the same thing?

No, torque and moment are not the same thing. While they are both measures of rotational force, torque specifically refers to the force that causes an object to rotate, while moment refers to the tendency of an object to rotate. In other words, torque is an action, while moment is a measurement of that action.