Torque: Yoyo with Two Strings - Direction and Maximum Tension

In summary, a yoyo with center of mass O, moment of inertia Io, mass m, inner radius r, and outer radius R is in contact with the ground at point p. Two strings are attached at the inner radius r, pulling with equal tensions in opposite directions. The yoyo will move clockwise assuming no slipping. The maximum tension T that can be applied before slipping occurs is when the total torque from the strings overtakes the torque caused by friction. Considering torque around the center of mass, the yoyo would move counterclockwise due to the opposing torques from the strings and friction.
capn awesome

Homework Statement

So, basic yoyo with center of mass O, moment of inertia Io , and mass m. Has an inner radius of r, and outer of R, and in contact with the ground at point p. Two strings are attached at inner radius r, each pulling with equal tensions, one pulling from the top of r directly to the right, one pulling from the bottom of r directly to the left.

a) in what direction does the yoyo move, assuming no slipping

b) what is the maximum tension T that can be applied before the yoyo begins to slip

Homework Equations

Ʃτ = Iα
a = Rα
I = Icm + mR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I started out by applying the parallel axis theorem to analyze torque around point p.

Ip = Io + mR2

Then summed the torques

Ʃτ = T(R-r) + T(R+r) ± Ffr = (Io+ mR2

α = 2TR ± Ffr/(Io+ mR2)

I am thinking that the yoyo will move clockwise, as the tension applied to the top of inner radius r has a larger numerical value when analyzing torque about p.

I have no idea (if this is correct) how I could find the max tension without slip.

Is it the moment when total torque from the strings overtakes the torque caused by the frictional force?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, just realized that friction doesn't matter if considering torque around p, as the lever arm = 0...

One other thing that confuses me is what happens if you consider torque around the C.M. Both strings are trying to create a clockwise spin, and friction opposes that meaning that it would act to make the yoyo spin counter clockwise, and then analyzing the torques separately, the bottom string would want to make the yoyo move counter clockwise to the left, and the top string does the opposite.

Would this mean that because there are two forces acting to move it c.c.w, that it would move c.c.w?

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is a combination of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How does torque affect a yoyo with two strings?

The torque applied to a yoyo with two strings can cause it to rotate and change directions. The direction and strength of the torque will determine the movement of the yoyo.

3. What factors can affect the torque of a yoyo with two strings?

The length and tension of the strings, as well as the force applied to the yoyo, can all affect the torque of a yoyo with two strings. The shape and weight distribution of the yoyo can also play a role.

4. How can I increase the torque of a yoyo with two strings?

You can increase the torque of a yoyo with two strings by applying more force to the yoyo or by increasing the length and tension of the strings. You can also try using a heavier yoyo or one with a more angular shape.

5. What is the relationship between torque and angular momentum in a yoyo with two strings?

Torque and angular momentum are closely related in a yoyo with two strings. The torque applied to the yoyo will cause a change in its angular momentum, which determines the speed and direction of its rotation.