Boosting Download Speeds at UofM Dorms

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to bypass packet filtering in order to increase torrent download speeds in the dorms at the University of Michigan. The suggested solution is to use a transparent proxy on port 80, and the individual mentions using Azureus as their client. They also offer to do a Google search for public proxies and advise to make sure the proxy is transparent. However, there is a caution that attempting to bypass network security may result in consequences such as suspension of internet access. Another suggestion is to use a VPN tunnel instead, which would hide the use of BitTorrent from the school's network.
Tom McCurdy
I am in the dorms at the University of Michigan and I was wondering if there was anyway to get around the packet fitlering so I can get download speeds above 3kb/s. (Its sad when I get excited that my torrent is downloading at 3kbs/s)

I use Azureus as my client.

thx ahead of time
tom

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can use a transparent proxy on port 80. Azureus has an option in its configuration for such setup.

Do a google search for public proxies to find ip/ports you can use. Make sure it is trasparent. Otherwise the connection is going to be really slow.

I'm not really sure what you mean. Could you explain a bit more what I would have to do. I haven't messed this this kind of stuff before.

Sure your not going to get into trouble trying to bypass network security? I know when I was in the dorms for my college they were very strict about such things and evictions were common.

I don't know... I guess I'll try it until they say something... I just need to be able to have normal torrent download speeds...its driving me nuts. I need programs and such for school. Plus a movie here and there is nice.

I mean I get 2mb/s upload at the library but in my dorms... come on

Go to Options->Connection

You'll see proxying of tracker and peer. That's where you stick the proxy info.

Btw, Greg is right, you might get your internet suspended if you try this. If your smart you might want to go with a VPN tunnel instead. That would garantee that the school wouldn't know your using bittorrent. All they would see is lots of bandwidth used.

1. How can we increase download speeds at UofM dorms?

The most effective way to increase download speeds at UofM dorms is to upgrade the internet infrastructure. This could include installing fiber optic cables, upgrading routers and switches, and increasing the bandwidth capacity. Additionally, implementing network traffic management techniques can also help optimize download speeds.

2. Can students do anything to improve their individual download speeds?

While upgrading the internet infrastructure is the responsibility of the university, there are some steps students can take to improve their individual download speeds. This includes using an Ethernet cable instead of relying on Wi-Fi, closing unnecessary programs and tabs, and using a download manager to optimize the download process.

3. Are there any specific times when download speeds are slower at UofM dorms?

Typically, download speeds are slower during peak usage hours, such as evenings and weekends when more students are using the internet. This is due to the increased network traffic. However, with the proper infrastructure and network management techniques, these peak times can be better managed to minimize the impact on download speeds.

4. Can using a VPN affect download speeds at UofM dorms?

In some cases, using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) can slightly decrease download speeds due to the added encryption and routing processes. However, this can vary depending on the VPN provider and the strength of the internet connection. It is recommended to test the download speed with and without a VPN to determine the impact on individual speeds.

5. How often should the internet infrastructure be upgraded to maintain optimal download speeds?

The frequency of internet infrastructure upgrades depends on various factors, such as the number of students using the network, the advancements in technology, and the budget allocated by the university. However, it is recommended to regularly monitor and assess the network performance and make necessary upgrades at least every few years to keep up with the increasing demand for faster download speeds.