Torrents can anyone help me with it

• Thread starter himanshu121
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student trying to set up BT software on a college network in order to download files without having access to the router. The IT department recommends against it, citing the potential legal and technical risks.
himanshu121
Hi,
I am trying to set the settings for bitSpirit behind the college LAN(so i don't hv any access to router incase they are using), is there any way out that will allow me to download the files via torrents
portmapping is saying all my ports are closed except port no 53?

Thnks if anyone can help me out with this

Computer science news on Phys.org
Why? In all likelihood, your IT policy forbids it. What legitimate academic use can you have for a BT client?

Port 53 is usually used for DNS, so you shouldn't attempt to tie that up with BT. Besides, any reasonably alert sysop will know if you install/use BT software or if you attempt to install a firewall tunnel. Illicit File sharing on a college LAN can expose both you personally and your college to huge lawsuits, and can derail your whole future. So keep the consequences in mind.

Last edited:
many legal files are distributed using bit-torrent. Its a very efficient way of distribution if you can't afford/ or don't want to have a heavy load on your server

Anttech said:
many legal files are distributed using bit-torrent. Its a very efficient way of distribution if you can't afford/ or don't want to have a heavy load on your server

No doubt, but the fact remains that at this time, the BT protocol is used more for illegal FS than legal FS. Because of this, and other reasons, most universities prohibit the installation of BT software on their workstations. The OP must clarify that such a thing is allowed on his network. But if it's legit, even his own IT dept will help out with it, I'm sure.

No doubt, but the fact remains that at this time, the BT protocol is used more for illegal FS than legal FS. Because of this, and other reasons, most universities prohibit the installation of BT software on their workstations. The OP must clarify that such a thing is allowed on his network. But if it's legit, even his own IT dept will help out with it, I'm sure.

Well Torrent is actually an application layer protocol (p2p), right? Which sits on top of tcp/ip. So should be ban IP because it can be used for illegal purposes? Nope.

So jumping to conclusions regarding torrents use isn't useful. Many open source files are distributed this way. In fact some voip apps use p2p. I can think of numerous *academic* uses for using Peer 2 peer technology.

1. What is a torrent file?

A torrent file is a small file that contains information about a larger file or group of files. It is used to facilitate peer-to-peer file sharing over the internet.

2. How do I download a torrent?

To download a torrent file, you will need a torrent client software such as uTorrent or BitTorrent. Once you have the software installed, you can simply open the torrent file and the client will begin downloading the files from other users who have the same file.

3. Are torrents legal?

Torrents themselves are not illegal, but downloading copyrighted material through torrents without permission is illegal. It is important to always make sure you have the right to download and share the files before using torrents.

4. Do I need a VPN to use torrents?

No, you do not need a VPN to use torrents. However, using a VPN can provide an extra layer of security and privacy when downloading and sharing files through torrents. It can also help prevent your internet service provider from monitoring your activity.

5. How can I increase my download speed when using torrents?

There are a few things you can do to increase your download speed when using torrents. You can try connecting to more seeders, limiting the number of active downloads, or using a torrent client that allows for faster download speeds. You can also try adjusting the settings of your router and firewall to allow for faster torrent downloads.