Torsion and plastic deformations

In summary, when a torsion is applied to a hollow shaft causing the plastic area to reach the inner radius, there will be residual stress present due to the mismatch in shape between the plastic and elastic regions. The magnitude of this stress depends on various factors and is important to consider in engineering and design.
Dell
the foollowing hollow shaft has a torsion applied to it so that the plastic area reaches the inner radius, what is the magnitude of the maximum residual shearing stress?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_H4Iz7SmBrbk/S9XK9ZwAbQI/AAAAAAAACFU/ueYSDTK5qMM/s800/Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

i don't see why there should be any residual stress? if the shaft entirely becomes plastic- which as far as i can tell is what happens here- why should i have any residual stress,
i know that when i have an elastic core, the elastic core wants to return to its original placement and the plastic area wants to stay with its residual strain, leaving each of them a stress and the placement being somewhere inbetween. but why is this so in this case too??

Physics news on Phys.org

I can explain the concept of residual stress in this situation. When a torsion is applied to a hollow shaft, the material experiences both elastic and plastic deformation. The elastic deformation causes the material to return to its original shape once the load is removed, while the plastic deformation causes permanent changes in the material's shape.

In the case of a hollow shaft with a torsion applied, the plastic area reaches the inner radius due to the high amount of stress applied. This means that the material in this area has undergone plastic deformation and will not return to its original shape once the load is removed. However, the elastic core of the shaft will still try to return to its original shape, causing a mismatch in the material's shape.

This mismatch results in residual stress, which is the stress that remains in the material even after the load is removed. In this case, the maximum residual shearing stress will occur at the interface between the plastic and elastic regions, where the mismatch in shape is the greatest. The magnitude of this stress will depend on the material properties, the amount of torsion applied, and the geometry of the shaft.

Therefore, even though the entire shaft may become plastic, there will still be residual stress present due to the mismatch in shape between the plastic and elastic regions. This concept is important to consider in engineering and design, as residual stress can affect the overall strength and durability of a material.

1. What is torsion?

Torsion is a type of mechanical stress in which a body experiences twisting or rotation due to an applied torque or moment. It can occur in structures or objects that are subjected to an external force or load.

2. What causes plastic deformations in materials?

Plastic deformations occur in materials when they are subjected to stresses beyond their yield point, causing permanent changes in their shape or structure. This can be due to external forces, extreme temperatures, or chemical reactions.

3. How is torsion different from other types of mechanical stress?

Torsion is different from other types of mechanical stress, such as tension or compression, because it involves twisting or rotation rather than stretching or compressing. Torsion can also cause a shear stress, where one part of a material slides past another part.

4. What are some common examples of torsion in everyday life?

Torsion can be seen in many everyday objects, such as a wrench tightening a bolt, a doorknob turning, or a car's drive shaft transferring power from the engine to the wheels. It also occurs in natural phenomena, such as tornadoes and whirlpools.

5. How can torsion and plastic deformations be prevented or controlled?

To prevent or control torsion and plastic deformations, engineers and designers use techniques such as adding reinforcements or bracing, selecting materials with higher strength and ductility, and considering the expected loads and forces that a structure or object will experience.