Calculate Angle of Twist for Steel Shaft, 850 lb-in Applied

In summary, The problem is asking to compute the angle of twist between two ends of a shaft when a torque of 850 lb-in is applied uniformly along its length. The shaft has two flats, each measuring 1.25 inches across. The governing equation for this problem is J = C*r^4, and the value of J can be easily computed using the given measurements. The formula for the angle of twist is angle = (torque*length)/(G*J), and since there are two J values for the two flats, the angle of twist needs to be split into two parts and then the relative angle between the two ends can be found. However, the answer may
togo

2qaqz52.jpg

1. Homework Statement

Compute angle of twist of one end relative to other if a torque of 850 lb-in is applied uniformly along the length. Shaft has two flats (not just the 1 pictured!) 1.25 " is measurement across flats.

Homework Equations

J = C r^4

The Attempt at a Solution

I had to hand in the page with the question on it recently :(

so, here are the governing equations, need some direction on how to tackle it:

so the value of J is easily computed (table: 0.625" / 0.875" = C of around 0.93 x 0.316 = 0.294)

angle = [(torque)(length)]/[GJ])

so since there are two J values, how is this handled? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you will need to split it as two shafts with the same torque value T. So you'd get θ1 using J1 and θ2 using J2.

The relative angle would then be θ21.

I could be wrong though as it's been quite long since I've done these types of things :redface:

ok I'll try that

although the answer is very small and would kinda be the same even if you did it wrong. So I need to know

1. What is the formula for calculating the angle of twist for a steel shaft?

The formula for calculating the angle of twist for a steel shaft is θ = TL/GJ, where θ is the angle of twist, T is the applied torque, L is the length of the shaft, G is the shear modulus, and J is the polar moment of inertia.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the angle of twist?

The unit of measurement for the angle of twist is radians (rad).

3. How do you determine the shear modulus for a steel shaft?

The shear modulus for a steel shaft can be determined by dividing the shear stress by the shear strain. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the elastic modulus and Poisson's ratio.

4. Can the angle of twist be negative?

Yes, the angle of twist can be negative. This indicates that the shaft is experiencing a decrease in angle from its original position due to the applied torque.

5. Is the angle of twist affected by the material of the shaft?

Yes, the angle of twist is affected by the material of the shaft. Different materials have different shear moduli, which will result in different angles of twist for the same applied torque.