1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torsion pendulum

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i did my experiment on torsion pendulum and there is a graph that i am supposed to draw ( C as a function of 1/L) where C is the tosion constant and L the length of the wire after that they give me a formula C=1/32L *∏*G*a^4 where G is called the modulus of rigidity and a is the diameter of the wire my purpose is to find G

2. Relevant equations
    1) i just want to know the expected result of G because i got 300 Pa??
    2) how to find the uncertainty of G ?
    3) the unit of G is Pa right??

3. The attempt at a solution i did the graph where i am supposed to make the uncertainty rectangles but the graph didnt work out too much for me especially that i repeated the experiment several times and i have the same answers ( with a small difference) so any suggestions

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2011 #2
    It looks like yes to 3 but typical numbers for metal are 10's of giga Pa, 10E9 Pa see,

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/modulus-rigidity-d_946.html

from,

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#...w.,cf.osb&fp=2ddf388403c0c5d8&biw=734&bih=439

For question 2 it looks like most error will come from a as it goes to the 4th power and it is most likely very small. What was a and to what fraction of an inch or mm did you measure, like wise for L.

I think your answer to 1 is way off, are your lengths in meters or mm? Pascals are Newtons per m^2.

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3
    so what i can see the number should be big

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook