1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torsion problem

1. Apr 23, 2008 #1
    I’ll try for the gold ring first and then come back to earth.
    Trying to find out the max forces to snap a pipe in-half (torsion problem)
    I have a 3”OD mechanical round tube with 1/4” wall its (ASTM-A 519) grade and 20ft long. At one end is welded a 14” long arm with a 3000psi cylinder(column load of 125000lb.) pushing or pulling the arm. It was supported in three basic areas, at both ends and the middle. Its snapped in-half.
    What forces had to act on the far end to snap it? Very interested in seeing the work, Show work.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2008 #2
    We're also very interested in seeing the work. Your work. See the sticky thread "FAQ: Why hasn't anybody answered my question?"
  4. Apr 28, 2008 #3

I would be glad to show you the work, so, considering neither one of us have a degree yet lets start with an equation-- Do you know what the equation is for max. torsion on a cylinder??

Thank you
  5. Apr 28, 2008 #4
    So much for the gold ring!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?